Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

salt block's??

Old 09-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: salt block's??

Illegal to hunt over them here and most areas I have hunted.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Roadkillwarrior

Its Illegal here in Indiana, but I still put them out for the benefit of the deer.

Of course. Why else do it where it's illegal?
Old 09-19-2008, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

personally i haven't ever hunted over a salt block because it's illeagal in MO, but i do use them for trail cameras and they do bring deer into a specific area and keep them there. the cool thing i love about salf blocks or any kind of mineral is that it stays in the ground and the deer tear that **** up.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

nope as long as it is a pure natural white salt block it is legal to hunt over em in missouri just called the department of conservation and the told it was legal. just you can't hunt over corn or soybean's that was placed there unnaturaly
Old 09-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

I 'have been hunting since 1979 and have saw only two deer at a salt lick.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: trailrider894

Don’t hunt over bait Turkey and deer may not be hunted with the aid of bait. If you put out food for deer or turkey in an area you intend to hunt, be sure to mark your calendars with a date to remove all food. See below for guidelines on baiting.
[ul][*]Use of bait while hunting—which includes grain or other feed placed or scattered so as to attract deer or turkeys—is illegal.[*]An area is considered baited for 10 days even after complete removal of the bait.[*]A hunter can be in violation even if he or she did not know an area was or is baited.[*]It is illegal to place bait in a way that causes others to be in violation of the baiting rule.[*]Scents and minerals, including salt, are not considered bait, however, mineral blocks with grain and food additives are prohibited.[/ul]
to answer your question yes. but here in missouri it is legal. i want it to help draw them in and to help the herd.
Then take does.....and a few of them.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Banned

"If you really want to help the herd, cull some does, let the young buck walk. I know I'll get a lot of S#$T over this, but, an able bodied person shooting deer over salt licks and bait, IMHO, isn't hunting: it's shooting/killing. But, to each his own. If that's what makes you tick, keep winding THAT clock."

Agree with that. Can you imagine how horrible the deer population would be if people didn't help them get their daily allowance of vitamins and minerals?

I've never seen a hunter take a whitetail over bait, but a lot of wanna-be's sure do.........
Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 PM

ive burried mineral blocks before and the deer will literally tear a hole in the ground gettin to it...they usually dont hit it good until after the rut when they are rebuilding their strength and body fat for the winter