Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Salt blocks or salt pit?

Old 12-20-2004, 11:05 AM

Default Salt blocks or salt pit?

Last spring I placed 8 salt blocks on the property and they were gone within three months. This year I am wondering if I should use salt blocks again or make a salt pit out of 80 lb. loose rock salt? Any suggestions?
Old 12-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Salt blocks or salt pit?

Take some solar saalt ( for water softeners) and pour on your stumps, see how that works, Salt is only good up to September, after that they dont seem to bother it much.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Assuming you are talking about the big blocks of salt then you have some deer with a serious addiction to salt.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go with RonM's suggestion. Even after the salt blocks are gone they will eat the stump to get the last remaining salt. Are you sure that you don't have porkies on your property?

Dan O.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

go with the solar salt. sounds like your blocks got stolen because 3 months sounds too soon to be all gone unless you got lots of rain and used the one pound blocks. thats the problem with using blocks slob hunters and punks will steal them or chuck them somewhere else. the big blocks i think 30lbs i put out in the spring are just about gone only now. im also mixing my solar salt with the rack- up product to give them some minerals and phosphourous. the red trace mineral bricks by themselves werent used nearly as much as the solar salt with the rack- up. maybe because its granular.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:58 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the input. We have had problems with people stealing our salt blocks out of the fields but these we put in areas that the trepasssers couldn't get to. We put them down at the end of March and by the end of May they were gone. I like the idea of using the solar salt over the stumps. And the use of the rack-up product. Again thanks for the help.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:42 PM

What is a salt pit that your talking about I only know of salt blocks. How do you go about setting up a salt pit and is it a legal use of food in a non baiting area.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-02-2005, 10:51 AM

Hey thanks I appreciate the info. That sounds like something that would work pretty good for bringing in deer. Now that I know what it is it seems like this would work better than a salt block because it would end up creating a bigger area of feed for the deer. Over time it might end up spreading out and mixing into the soil with the help of the rain, making a nice size area of feed.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:55 PM

Where do you get the red cattle mineral block. And around how much money.

Quick Reply: Salt blocks or salt pit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.