Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

salt block's??

Old 09-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default salt block's??

what do you guy's think about hunting over salt block's??? and should you clear the ground where you place it??
Old 09-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: salt block's??

Salt Blocks are great. Just hard to get deer to be there when you want them there. As for the surroundings, the deer will clear the ground around it for you
Old 09-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

i clear the ground around mine and put a little deer cocaine salt out and they dig deep for th salt because it soaks in.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Spike

i have had better luck in my area going to a feed store
and buying mineral salt. i clean out an area and pour it out.
gets into the soil a lot faster than a block and they will
hit it long after you think its gone. have one spot i havent used in about 5 years and they are still digging the ground there.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Dominant Buck

I think you'll get a fine for it here in Indiana, it's illegal here.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmm...are you trying to provide nutritional supplement for your deer herd or just trying to bait them in?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Don’t hunt over bait Turkey and deer may not be hunted with the aid of bait. If you put out food for deer or turkey in an area you intend to hunt, be sure to mark your calendars with a date to remove all food. See below for guidelines on baiting.
[ul][*]Use of bait while hunting—which includes grain or other feed placed or scattered so as to attract deer or turkeys—is illegal.[*]An area is considered baited for 10 days even after complete removal of the bait.[*]A hunter can be in violation even if he or she did not know an area was or is baited.[*]It is illegal to place bait in a way that causes others to be in violation of the baiting rule.[*]Scents and minerals, including salt, are not considered bait, however, mineral blocks with grain and food additives are prohibited.[/ul]
to answer your question yes. but here in missouri it is legal. i want it to help draw them in and to help the herd.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

i took a doe while coming to the trophy rock iset out the previous year, they dug it out, she was coming to do some more pawing but fell to my arrow
Old 09-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

I've had best success by clearing a spot of ground of leaves and most weeds, then spread mineral salt....or if you bust up the salt block..... As said above deer and other game dig the whole ground and area up.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:28 PM

They will tear the ground several months after its gone

Quick Reply: salt block's??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.