Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

salt block's??

Old 09-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: salt block's??

Put it on a top a stump. As it rains and rots hey will lick under the stump and smooth it cleaner than sandpaper. As the stump rots over the years they will chew the wood as well. Keepo the salt in the same spot, I always try and get it near bedding areas. Plain old white salt block. In PA we have to pullthem out of the woods 30 ndays prior to deer seasons , in OHio you can leave them.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

so i cleared a three foot area and smashed up the salt block that i bought at the farm store. and put up my trail cam and here are some pic's from the trail cam!!! i was surprised to see that big one!!! and archery season is officialy on now so it is all a big waiting game now.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:48 PM

I nailed a doe yesterday coming to were a had one earlier
Old 09-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

nice buck you got trailrider
Old 09-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just had 2 fawns come in my backyardand eat a little off ofthe block we put out there. Going on that, it would work pretty good.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trailrider894

Don’t hunt over bait Turkey and deer may not be hunted with the aid of bait. If you put out food for deer or turkey in an area you intend to hunt, be sure to mark your calendars with a date to remove all food. See below for guidelines on baiting. [ul][*]Use of bait while hunting—which includes grain or other feed placed or scattered so as to attract deer or turkeys—is illegal.[*]An area is considered baited for 10 days even after complete removal of the bait.[*]A hunter can be in violation even if he or she did not know an area was or is baited.[*]It is illegal to place bait in a way that causes others to be in violation of the baiting rule.[*]Scents and minerals, including salt, are not considered bait, however, mineral blocks with grain and food additives are prohibited.[/ul]
to answer your question yes. but here in missouri it is legal. i want it to help draw them in and to help the herd.

If you really want to help the herd, cull some does, let the young buck walk. I know I'll get a lot of S#$T over this, but, an able bodied person shooting deer over salt licks and bait, IMHO, isn't hunting: it's shooting/killing. But, to each his own. If that's what makes you tick, keep winding THAT clock.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

Put it on a top a stump. As it rains and rots hey will lick under the stump and smooth it cleaner than sandpaper. As the stump rots over the years they will chew the wood as well. Keepo the salt in the same spot, I always try and get it near bedding areas. Plain old white salt block. In PA we have to pullthem out of the woods 30 ndays prior to deer seasons , in OHio you can leave them.

What's the theory in PA for pulling the salt block from the stump. Do the officials think that the stump then quits being a salt lick ??!?! lmfao
Old 09-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont use them i had a mineral block cleared out a spot in the open and it didnt get touched by anything. but now that i think about it my problem was that i found i highly used trail that i see deer on all the time and i cleared out a spot right next to it and i think that might have spooked them
Old 09-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have a spot that I typically put a mineral block about May when I set up my trail cam to see what's in the area. It is pretty much a bare dirt spot in the middle of tall grass now. I have only caught a few pics of bucks hitting it, but primarily pregnant/nursing does. I assume they are after their prenatal/natal vitamins.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

Its Illegal here in Indiana, but I still put them out for the benefit of the deer. I usually crush them up and bury them just bellow the surface. Trust me, they will find them and they seem to prefer to eat it when it has soaked into the dirt. Maybe its just not as strong, im not sure.

Quick Reply: salt block's??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.