Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SALT ON BAIT

Old 09-28-2005, 02:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default SALT ON BAIT

I'VE USED CORN AND OATS TO HELP BAIT DEER IN THE PAST. GOT ALL EXCIETED TILL I DISCOVERED IT WAS MAINLY EATEN BY CHIPMUNKS AND BLUEJAYS. THOSE SEEDS I GOT FROM WORK, SO THE MONEY IS RIGHT. IT IS FOR SHARED LAND, SO I WANT TO HOLD OFF ON BUYING AND LEAVING A FEEDER IN THE WOODS. I WAS THINKING NEXT YEAR I MIGHT POUR SALT OVER THE BAIT.DO YOU THINK THE SALT WOULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO KEEPING SMALLER ANIMALS AND BIRDS AWAY FROM THE SEED. DURING THE SUMMER I CAN GET UP ONLY ONE PER MONTH SO IT WOULD BE NICE IF IT WOULD LAST A FEW DAYS TILL THE DEER CAME AROUND. A MINERAL BLOCK WOULD ALSO BE INPLACE NEAR BY. A LITTLE WELCHES APPLE JUICECONCENTRATE OVER TOP WOULDN'T HURT EITHER.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:07 AM

Default RE: SALT ON BAIT

I have mixed feelings about salt. Some people use plain ole table salt. I use trace mineral salt.

Deer around here usually hit salt during the antler growing period and summer. After that, they don't tend to go for it as much. Salt is a very regional thing or at least in my opinion.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:22 AM

I just use shelled corn or apples. I don't bait continuosly though. I just put bait down when I am in the stand. It helps stop them so I can get a shot off easier.

I don't put bait down when I am not there or on a daily basis. Once I set my stand I don't go near the area unless I am going to hunt it. That is during bow season though.

Where I gun hunt the guy that owns the land baits every day during gun season and a few days before. But only about a coffee can full at each location in the mornings. And your right, other critters eat most of it from the looks of it. Gives me something to look at while I'm in my blind though. We have three permenant blinds set up on 50 acres there.

Paul
Old 09-28-2005, 02:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Salt is a very regional thing or at least in my opinion.

Yep Strut, cause here I have 4 mineral salt blocks
out for the cows and them deer are always licking
them, even in the winter.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

I'M NOT SO MUCH CONCERNED ABOUT THE SALT BEING AN EXTRA ATTRACTANT TO THE DEER, BUT MORE SO THE SMALL ANIMALS LEAVE THE BAIT ALONE.