Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Trail Camera's ..Do They Take the "Hunt" out of Hunting? >

Trail Camera's ..Do They Take the "Hunt" out of Hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trail Camera's ..Do They Take the "Hunt" out of Hunting?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trail Camera's ..Do They Take the "Hunt" out of Hunting?

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

With all the trailcamera technology on the market today I have to wonder if this has not removed the "hunt" out of "Hunting" ...I know that the trail cam's have become extreamly popular over the past 5 years but has it made us lazy? I remember growing up that deer hunting ment a lot of walking, looking for andreading sign and trying to figure out a way to out think and out smart a deer, sometimes successful but normally not (thus why it is called HUNTing). However now with the trail cam explosion has happened it seems to me that we might be loosing perspective on what hunting is really supposed to be. So tell me is it just ME or have any of you other guy's had the same thoughts?

dd
A person could say the same thing about the ground blind you hunt out of. If your wanting to "eliminate" technolgy, why not "eliminate" it all? I can see your point of view in away, but there is so much technolgy in the hunting world today. So one could argue that all of todays gear gives us a advantage over deer. Outside of hunting with a spear or long bow, I don't see a way of "Hunting" the way it used to be.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Spike

I think a trail camera does the opposite - it puts the hunt in hunting for me.

When I see a quality buck on my trail cam, it makes me hunt harder than I normally would. I have more of a tendency to let bucks walk that I'd normally shoot, on the chance that I'm going to see that big buck that showed up on my trail cam. I'll spend more time in a stand, and be more charged up about my hunts. The hunt becomes more than just killing a deer, it becomes about harvesting THAT deer.

I still hit the woods with my buddys, look for sign and try to determine the best places to set up, just like we did before trail cams. But now the cam can confirm your decision to set up on a spot when you see what's really moving down that trail. If anything, I think it gives you the potential for more productive hunts.

I also like the fact that it gives me an excuse to spend more time in the woods before the season ever comes in. Setting up cams, and checking your pics is like a hobby in itself. And every now and then, when you're checking your pics, it's like Christmas.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope!!!!! Never crossed my mind!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it takes the hunt out of hunting where do I sign upso I can guarantee that I will even seethe 2 mature bucks that I've got pictures of this summer when hunting season comes around and I have a gun in my hand?

I kind of agree that it puts the hunt into hunting. Without the cameras I would most likely shoot the first decent buck I saw and then go home completely oblivious to the fact that there are a couple really nice bucks that might be out there somewhere on my property. With the cameras I will be passing on any buck I see other than the 2 on my hit list or if another monster just happens to come through during the rut. I will probably spend more time hunting this year because the cameras have been out there all year already. If the camera is a good indicator these two bucks will be out during daylight hours 1 time in a 2 week period and they may even go even more nocturnal as hunting season approaches.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

i love the trail cams, i cant say that it has helped me harvest bigger deer, but they let a person see what kind of deer he has on his property. i have several different pics of bucks that i have never seen in the daylight.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

No they dont take the "hunt" out of hunting. Theyre perfectly "ethical" to use. Its all opinion, and thats my opinion. I use my cameras mainly to see what deer are around, not specifically where they are at.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

For sure they take some of hte hunting out of hunting but they are also as much of the hunt as the sit itself. They promote deer management for sure since if you know a bigger badder buck is out there you tend to let younger ones walk. it extends the deer season for hunter and it helpd to get in the filed and scout pre, post and during hte season. They don't give any advantage to the kill itself because they only point out a deer that was and could step out at any moment, they don't attract the deer they just report their activities.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 AM

Absolutely not. I believe that trail cams are an aid, as well as calls and or scent cover ups. Plus, why waist time in an area with no deer, when you could be in an area that you have deer in.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Canuck33

For sure they take some of hte hunting out of hunting but they are also as much of the hunt as the sit itself. They promote deer management for sure since if you know a bigger badder buck is out there you tend to let younger ones walk. it extends the deer season for hunter and it helpd to get in the filed and scout pre, post and during hte season. They don't give any advantage to the kill itself because they only point out a deer that was and could step out at any moment, they don't attract the deer they just report their activities.
Canuck well said and point well taken.

dd