Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Trail Camera's ..Do They Take the "Hunt" out of Hunting? >

Trail Camera's ..Do They Take the "Hunt" out of Hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trail Camera's ..Do They Take the "Hunt" out of Hunting?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trail Camera's ..Do They Take the "Hunt" out of Hunting?

I only know of one buck that I got a T/C picture of that was shot, and I didn't do the shooting. T/C pics do not tell me where to setup a stand. I've already determined that by the time I put out a T/C. I'm looking a T/C pics to see what is in the area I'm hunting, not to locate a stand. Plus I have fun getting the pics. I'd still be hunting the area without T/C pics.

Maybe the better question might be, 'Does anyone use a T/C to find a stand location?'. Perhaps there are some that have figured out a way to do this and that could be an advantage for them. But I still see no issue with it at all.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

With all the trailcamera technology on the market today I have to wonder if this has not removed the "hunt" out of "Hunting" ...I know that the trail cam's have become extreamly popular over the past 5 years but has it made us lazy? I remember growing up that deer hunting ment a lot of walking, looking for andreading sign and trying to figure out a way to out think and out smart a deer, sometimes successful but normally not (thus why it is called HUNTing). However now with the trail cam explosion has happened it seems to me that we might be loosing perspective on what hunting is really supposed to be. So tell me is it just ME or have any of you other guy's had the same thoughts?

dd
first off, howdy DD...how's Kentucky treat'n you, you miss'n Bama?

next, i think my trail camera's make me hunt harder and make me a better hunter. i still walk around and scout my area's, looking for sign and places to hang my camera's. they allow me to see what kind of game are in my area, so i know when to stick it out and when to try another area. in the past i know i've gave up on area's that potentially held nice bucks simply because i did not see anything. if i'm hunting an area that i got pictures of nice bucks, i tend to stick it out alot longer due to knowing they are there instead of hoping they are there. i'm still in the woods every other weekend scouting and looking.
Chris thanks for asking ...ole dd is getting settled here in west Kentucky , it aint Bama but it is a very nice area of the country ...we just had our grand opening at the new Harley store that I manage and man oh man was it a MONSTER party ...here are a few pictures of this Saturday.

dd

Old 08-19-2008, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

another

Old 08-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will offer my " professional " opinion, and will probably get wupped on for it, but it's my opinion, strictly.

The question is do trail cams take the hunt out of hunting. I say no: it's just another tool in the scouting bag. To believe that cameras take the hunt out of hunting would be tantamount to saying the same about food plots, which I guess could defintly be an arguement.

IMHO, an able body hunter paying someone to locate, pattern, build blinds/stands, or baiting deer,high fence hunts, etc, takes the hunt out of hunting. I laugh when I hear folks brag about what a great hunter they are when they employ those tactics, but it is a ' to each his own ". There's deer shooting, and there is deer hunting.

Give me the latter every time.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: crokit

IMHO, an able body hunter paying someone to locate, pattern, build blinds/stands, or baiting deer,high fence hunts, etc, takes the hunt out of hunting. I laugh when I hear folks brag about what a great hunter they are when they employ those tactics, but it is a ' to each his own ". There's deer shooting, and there is deer hunting.

Crokit I would only take issue on one part of what you said ..if a hunter is going to do on a paid hunt to another state or country you just about HAVE to employee an outfitter and a guide ...when you olny have 6 to 10 days to hunt it would makee it extreamly tuff to get into an unknown area and have much of a chance of success ..I know it CAN be done but lets face it ..its unlikely ...if you go to Canada they REQUIRE you use an Outfitter so you really have no choice ...I would also ask you does it make the Jim Shockey's, Stan Potts, Mike Waddels less of a hunter because they hunt prescoutedfarms and ranch's? I do think your opinion about the camera's is most likely the popular view ...

dd
Old 08-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

So tell me is it just ME or have any of you other guy's had the same thoughts?
it just you brother

actually i am walking more all the time, looking at new areas, and searching out more vantage points, the only thing trail cameras are doing for me is giving me pic's of deer i have already seen, and some i may never see[&o], i have learned alot about deer movement though and will be spending more time mid-day hunting in late season

the young bucks are easy, as far as eating, give my a nice yearling[:-], after that i'm looking for something that is as serious about it as i amand the big boys don't just slip up everyday

Take care man look forward to seeing you again
Old 08-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe it takes the hunt out of hunting. Like most of you said, it just basically shows what you have running around on the property. You still have to be out there when or if he shows up. Out of all the years I have been hunting, I have only killed three bucks that I had on camera, and two of them were nowhere near where the pictures were taken. The other took me almost a month to kill after the pics came out, and it was probably more luck than anything. Ilove to put them on scrapes just to see what I have out there, and usually I don't even hunt those very same scrapes. It's more entertainment for me than a hunting tool.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

MT I have just ONE thing to say to YOU bro .............................

ROLL TIDE ROLL !!

dd
Old 08-19-2008, 05:04 PM

With all the trailcamera technology on the market today I have to wonder if this has not removed the "hunt" out of "Hunting"

If you believe that an experiencedhunter's primary goal is to shoot a mature buck (don't get me wrong, I smack slickheads, too), I think that trail cameras help that hunter shoot bigger deer. Therefore they don't take the "hunt" out of hunting anymore than mineral licks and supplimental feeding (including food plots) do. Each has the same goal which is to allow the hunter to see more deer in the area he/she is hunting, thus allowing him/her to make abetter judgement call as to which animals need to be harvested. That being said, I still get my feet dirty!
Old 08-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

ORIGINAL: crokit

Crokit I would only take issue on one part of what you said ..if a hunter is going to do on a paid hunt to another state or country you just about HAVE to employee an outfitter and a guide ...when you olny have 6 to 10 days to hunt it would makee it extreamly tuff to get into an unknown area and have much of a chance of success ..I know it CAN be done but lets face it ..its unlikely ...if you go to Canada they REQUIRE you use an Outfitter so you really have no choice ...I would also ask you does it make the Jim Shockey's, Stan Potts, Mike Waddels less of a hunter because they hunt prescoutedfarms and ranch's? I do think your opinion about the camera's is most likely the popular view ...

dd
[/quo

I have four mounted bucks, totaling just under 600pts. All taken on public land. Sometimes I go 2-3 years or more not firing a shot. I have never been placed in a pre scouted { by someone else } farm or ranch, so can't relate to that style of deer shooting. Have never paid to shoot a deer.

Never professed to be a GREAT hunter, I just try to hunt the biggest buck I can find. Sometimes I get the buck, sometimes the buck gets me.

The fellas you listed, if that's their bag, so be it. It isn't mine, but like I said, to each his own.

Quick Reply: Trail Camera's ..Do They Take the "Hunt" out of Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.