Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Trail Camera's

Old 11-23-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Trail Camera's

I have been scouring the web researching trail cameras. Let me begin by saying I'm trying to spend no more than $300-$400 and 35mm is not an option for me.

I read a lot about these new IR flashes not spooking animals at night, video clips being available, viewing screens on the back, aiming lasers, etc. I know your losing quality on the pictures at night but I can't seem to find out what reality is with LED invisible flash vs. real light flashes that may take a better picture with a stronger flash farther out into the night. I continue to ask the same question too, do I really care if the deer is spooked temporarily by a flash at night as long as I get a good picture of him? I don't know that it's going to change a pattern in behavior is what I'm saying so wouldn't I go for the better picture camera day or night?

So, can anyone please recommend a good digital trail camera they have had personal experience with that will take good pictures in the day time and good enough pictures at night and not eating batteries is a huge plus? I'm technically astute so complexity in a camera use is not an issue.

Thanks for any input, I just hate spending $300-$400 on a piece of junk!!
Old 11-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Spike

Default RE: Trail Camera's

Ellobo,---We have been testing and reviewing scouting cameras for a couple of years. Please visit out trail/scouting camera review site at www.chasingame.com. Hope this helps Bill
Old 11-23-2005, 11:11 PM

Stay away from the Camtrakker Ranger, Not only is the quaility poor but the severice sucks. I returned mine and they charged me 75.00 + the shipping both ways.
I was told before that the charge would be 25.00
Over priced and Poor Quality
Old 11-25-2005, 09:22 AM

Bowwinkles, just found your site last night. Great stuff. But I have had
a less positive experience with the Moultrie digital game spy cam (1.3M).
A real drawback of that model is that you cannot adjust the IR/motion
detector sensitivity. I put in on a spot that we consistently get pictures
on our old 35mm stealth cam for 3 weeks at the beginning of November.
I didn't get a single picture. I wasn't totally surprised as my backyard
testing had shown the same thing on a warm evening. The folks at
Moultrie said the sensitivity wasn't adjustable but that it should work
fine in cooler weather. But we had it out during some pretty cold weather
during the 3 weeks it didn't get a picture. It had also completely the new
6v energizer latern battery I put in it. Did you see any of these issues
in your testing? - Shane

Old 11-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Spike

Texas Bow,---Yes, we have seen this happen and it is mostly that the area across from your cam probably has the sun warming it up from the cool night air. and when the sun goes down the warm folage cools. Both of these events can be sensed by the PIR function of the cam. To correct this we placed the cam in an area where the background is at a greater distance during the warm weather periods. Now that we are in the cool season the weather "falsing" has not been an issue. The degree of sensitivity will vary between cams also. We have several out and only one has that degree of sensitivity to where we have to be careful where we place it. We use the rechargables in our Moultries with solar panels and the battery life has been very good. For the price they are just great cams and it allows just about everyone to enjoy the use of scouting cameras. Bill