Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

red dot sight for slug gun

Old 08-18-2008, 12:03 PM

Default RE: red dot sight for slug gun

^ so do you think a 2x42mm red dot with a 5 moa, would work for a 100-150??? i was looking at a 4x32mm scope too, or a bushnell shotgun scope that is 1-4x32mm, i still am not sure.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Some like red dots, some don't. I do on my shotgun, but prefer a traditional scope on my Muzzleloader. I'd say find a store with a nice selection and check them all out. The big store near here has a stock mockup that they can put the various scopes on so you can shoulder it and check them out. Some, like Uncle Matt above, have concerns about the battery. My holosights will flash when you turn them on if the battery is below 20%, at which point I change them. I change my red-dot battery at the beginning of the season, whether it needs it or not, though I believe it also has a blinking-if-low feature. With over 100 hrs of continuous battery life, I have never had a problem. They all have auto shutoffs, typically at about 8 hours, so you don't have to worry about them dying between hunts if you forget to turn them off. One other important point with any red-dot is to routinely check it while hunting to make sure the brightness is what you need as it gets lighter/darker out, or as you move from the field into the woods, etc. I will admit that I have shouldered my shotgun for a shot near dusk and just about missed a shot because the dot was too bright. It's something I just discipline myself to routinely check now.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:45 PM

i guess i will have to check them both out, like i said before, most likely my shots would be fine for a red dot, but since i hunt public land i never know where i will be so there is always that chance where i will want to use my slug gun to its fully potential, i think i will go to my gander mountain, and look around, thanks for all the help guys, keep it coming if possible.