Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Red dot sight on a slug gun? >

Red dot sight on a slug gun?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Red dot sight on a slug gun?

Old 10-10-2007, 07:33 AM

Default Red dot sight on a slug gun?

I have a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel for slugs and I was wondering what your opinions were on red dot sights? How do they compare to traditional sights?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:05 AM

Default RE: Red dot sight on a slug gun?

I like the red dot sight , if you are just comparing it to the rifle sights that come with the slug bbl. , Butyou canget much better accuracy from a traditional type scope . Unless you have a magnifier for the red dot , the dot scopes are a type of reflex scope for quick shots and they do work well for some of the shorter ranges you can encounter in the field.With apowered scope can you take advantage of your more accurate rifled bbl.( compared to a smooth bore bbl. ).My 1100 has a 1.5x7x 32 on it and I use the same 1100 with the same scope for Turkey hunting , just change to the turkey bbl. and what I find interesting is , the scope has the diamond reticle for Turkey hunting and I do not even have to sight it in for the slugs or change for Turkey , its dead on with slugs @ 50 yds. and patterns right for shot for Turkey hunting with out changing any thing . This may not be the norm ,but works great for this particular smooth bore slug bbl. and my custom Turkey bbl.
Although that may change because I have a bunch of Fed. True Ball slugs I just picked up and am going to sight it in for if they shoot better than my Winchesters.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think red dot sights are great for quick aiming or for close range. What you need to watch out for is certain models have too big of a red dot. I would go for a 4 moa dot.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just wrote this the other day...

With rifled slugs in a smoothbore I like a red dot, but with the longer range, and better accuracy of sabot slugs from a rifled barrel I like a 2x-4x variable.

THE most important thing to look for in a sluggun scope, aside from durability, is eye relief. You want to be able to see through the tube without being right up near it. Bushnell makes a Banner line 2-4x with 6" of eye relief.

Keep the scope on low power for fast shots up close, and turn it up if you have time for a longer one.
Red dots have HUGE eye relief since they have no magnification, and can be used anytime you can see through the tube. I'd take advantage of th epotential accuracy of the good barrel purchase you made and go with some kind of magnifying scope.