HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   red dot sight for slug gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/258258-red-dot-sight-slug-gun.html)

millerhunter13 08-17-2008 06:03 PM

red dot sight for slug gun

i was thinking after this season putting a red dot on my tracker 2, i would have to have my gun drilled and tapped, but i was looking at a truglo red dot for 70-100 bucks are they worth it, and will the red dot work for 150 yards and less?????

millerhunter13 08-17-2008 08:20 PM

RE: red dot sight for slug gun

BUMP, please someone has to know something about red dot sights and slug guns.

LIAF 08-17-2008 09:02 PM

FWIW- I use a red dot scope on my crossbow and its extremely acurate to app.50 yards. From what i have seen they are suitable out to around 75 yards for a sort range weapon. I have read that each red dot scope's MOA can vary from onescope to another which plays a part in its effectiveness. I would believe that for anything over 75 yards you would want some type of magnification which would exclude a red dot scope therefore 150 yards would be too much for the typical red dot scope.All of myguns are scoped anywhere from 1-4x to 3.5x10 power. If I was limiting myself toa firearm app 75 yards and i wanted to use a red dot I would look for one that cost more since you get what you pay for in optics. I use a Zeiss Z-point on my crossbow which is excellent but will go for 400.00 NIB or about 300.00 a couple of years old. I do not know much about the tru-glo red dot but for that price I would consider its usefullness. If you are set on a reddotlook to one that goes for around 150.00. I do not know that much about the different ones but something from Burris sounds pretty good. i hope that someone with more knowledge in this area will respond to this post.

millerhunter13 08-18-2008 06:14 AM

thanks.

2FNSLO 08-18-2008 06:53 AM

My girlfriend will be using a 20ga Remington 1100 this season with a 2 power truglo. It has a 5moa dot so it will cover a lot of the target out very far. We haven't even shot it with slugs yet. It was just mounted about a month ago. She is just going to be using it for close range, inside of probably 75 yards.
I agree with LIAF, if you are going to shoot past 75 yards you probably want a little magnification. Most single power red dots have a 5 moa dot which will cover a 5 inch circle at 100 yards and 7.5 inches at 150 yards. Not really what I would consider good for a deer. If you can find one with a smaller dot, then it would be a lot better.

I have a 1.75 x 4 scope on my 870 that works for longer range shots pretty well.

USNRETHunter 08-18-2008 06:54 AM

Millerhunter,
I have Bushnell Holosights on my Benelli Nova 12ga slug gun and my son's 870 20ga, and a Bushnell multi-reticle red/green dot on my 870 12ga slug gun. I haven't done any checking at 150yds, but I sight in at 100 yds and I think they are great. While I do love the holosights, they are pricey (I got great deals on both on e-bay though a couple years ago.) For the price, I really like the Bushnell multi-reticle (Model 730135, about $70 street price, and typically available on eBay for about $50). It has four different reticles as well as red/green selection. The green is really nice for lower light time in the woods, while the red is better for the bright sun. One of the dots is either 4 or 6 moa, I don't remember exactly. The nice thing is, with a rifled barrel and sabot slugs, the slug will pretty much be in that circle out to 100yds, and probably pretty close at 150yds. So, if you can see well enough to put the circle on the kill zone at 150yds, it should work fine. At the 50 to 100yd range though, it is fantastic.

Here's links to the ones I use:
http://www.bushnell.com/general/rifl...ht_51-0023.cfm
http://www.bushnell.com/general/rifl...hy_73-0135.cfm

millerhunter13 08-18-2008 10:56 AM

Man, now you guys got me confused i dont know if i should go with a low power scope, or a red dot, most likely shot would be in the 25-75 yard range, but there is that chance because i hunt public land i dont always know where i will be hunting that i might need the 100-150 yard, what about a red that has some magnifcation?

millerhunter13 08-18-2008 11:06 AM

what doe MOA MEAN???????? and what about a red dot with magnification to it? like a 2x30mm or 2x42mm

USNRETHunter 08-18-2008 11:57 AM

MOA stands for "Minute of Angle", ie, 1/60th of a degree of a circle. Interestingly, 1 MOA works out to be (not quite exactly, but close enough) 1 inch at 100 yds. Thus, a scope that has a 1/4 MOA per click adjustment, would require 4 clicks to change 1" at 100 yds. Many red dots have a 4 or 6 MOA 'dot'. a 4 MOA dot will be 4" in diameter at 100 yds, and 2" in diameter at 50 yds. On a deer with easily a 6" diameter kill area, I know that where that dot is, the slug will be somewhere inside it and that is plenty good enough for me. I have not tried a red-dot with magnification, I know that Barska makes them, maybe others. They aren't that expensive, so maybe worth a try. The main 'advantage' to a red-dot or holosight over a standard scope/iron sights is that your eye does not have to be perfectly aligned and you can shoot both eyes open, particularly with the holosight. Even if your eye is off the scope axis, the 'dot' is still in the right spot. I assume it is still the case with a 2x red dot.

uncle matt 08-18-2008 12:02 PM

Tried a red dot on one slug gun. Didn't like it. Went right back to a regular scope.

Another thing to think about. Nice deer coming in. Now in range. You shoulder your gun, look thru the scope and there is no red dot. DANG! You slide your hand slowly up to turn the knob either ON or brighter. But it is already on - all the way.

YOUR BATTERY IS DEAD.

Not just the battery issue, but no more red dots on slug guns for me.