Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lightweight Gear

Old 07-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lightweight Gear

Well i have been looking at this stuff for a few years now. I got a real nice set of Red Head gear last year waterproof andbreathable and a 3 in 1 coat that is very nice...great in the cold weather, but just is brutial hot in thefall. Finally going to be headed out this year with a bow to try to take one so im looking into gettin setup for some warmer fall hunts.

I was looking into the Medalist Silvermax stuff. Especially their base layers. Figuring i could use that for the early and colder late season.

I also found someRed Headfleece that seems very nice, but isnt waterproof...Looking for some opinions on some lighter gear for bow and warmer days. Heres what im looking at: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_64690_400016001_400000000_400016000_400-16-1

Generally Bow season around here is a bit warm. 50's and 60s are not uncommon, but 30's and 40's arent out of the norm either.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lightweight Gear

be careful of that red head "waterproof" suit, not sure which you have, but I bought a redhead waterproof suit....caught in a downpoor out west, and became wet!

I'd test that baby in the shower.....came to learn that alot of waterproof gear really isnt waterproof just highly resistant, how they get away with saying its proof, I do not know, but others told me stories of the same thing.

My browning gore tex was waterproof.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Ive been out in multiple storms with it already. Opening day here last weekend it rained and rained...switched to snow...then rained some more...

I was dry all day!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Spike

I think the carbon based clothing is a farce (but that is a whole different topic), but I love the silver thread technology clothing such asMedalist: as opposed to non-silver synthetic clothing that will stink something terrible in a very short time after sweating and cotton clothing that never dries after sweating (leaving you cold and clammy all day), the silver thread stuff really resists odor while wicking sweat away from your skin and drying quickly. It also lasts as long as the clothing and requires no special care. I like to wear it for more activities than simply hunting.

I purchased a "compression" shirt from Cabelas that included the silver technology.Although it is advertised as winter clothing, it is totally unsuitable for winter use since the tight fit conducts heat away from your skin: it is like wearing a form fitting shirt made out of aluminum foil. However,I plan to try it in the warmer weatherfor this very reason.

I also have a Cabelas Revolution Fleece pull-over jacket that I like very much: it is water-proof, comfortable, and it has a hood that I can pull on if there is any serious rain. I expect to eventually get some pants to match for rain protection when temperaturesare 45-60 degrees.

If no rain is expected, I have a Cabelas fleece jacket with a wind-proof layer and Thinsulate insulation (TEF or something like that) that is very comfortable. It is not camo, but it is black and dark green which, along with the camo safety harness/vest, is adequate. It is also very quiet.

When temperatures are in the 70-80 degree range as they often are in the early bow season in PA, I do not know of rain gear that will not cause you to sweat profusely. Idon't generally hunt in steady rain anyway, so that is not normally a problem.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Spike

I was told to buy" water repellant" not "water proof " .I was told there is a difference.I cann't verify that.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

hunting summers here in CA (seasons opened last saturday) i usually use a base layer (medalist, x-scent, under armour heat gear) any of these will be fine and then either a pair of super lighweight camo pants or just a pair of leafy camo "over pants". long sleeve base layer shirt then a regular camo shirt over that is what i usually wear on these 100 degree days!