Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lightweight Raingear >

Lightweight Raingear

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lightweight Raingear

Old 05-31-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Lightweight Raingear

What lightweight raingear would you recommend for an early season archery elk hunt? I looking for a solution that I put on and remove as needed in the field on the hunt. The areas that I will be hunting are southern Colorado, Northern New Mexico and Central New Mexico. Any and all experiences with several products will be appreciated.

BSLugnut

Old 05-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Lightweight Raingear

Cabelas rain Suede is good choice
Old 05-31-2007, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

www.graywolfwoolens.com

Unlined Wolfskin - Actually Breaths, is waterproof, and silent...... Best stuff you can buy!
Old 05-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

My vote goes to the Drake waterfowl gear its the best. Max-4 camo
Old 05-31-2007, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever you choose, make sure that it is breatable and very light. At the same time, check to make sure that it is quiet. I have a white water outdoors outfit that I take on my bivy hunts. I also use the jacket every day as an outer shell to help cut down on weight. The coat makes an awesome windbreaker. To me it was well worth the money.

This company also sells the sherpa fleece that goes underneath, puts some poly pros under that and you are ready for whatever mother nature can dish out.

Just remember that poly and fleece will dry quickly if needed on a week long back country hunt. And your outer layer will keep the wind out and the heat in..
Old 06-01-2007, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quiet,light,breathable? Good luck! The fact that you are willing to take it off and on and pack it is a big plus.I have spent lot's of time and money trying to find the perfect solution,I am not sure that it exists.I do like Cabela's rain suede,it isn't the lightest but it is quiet,I made a mistake a couple of years ago when I bought it I bought the jacket and the bibs.I really don't like bibs.I will likely buy the rain suede pants at some point in time.There is a company called dutch harbor that has rain gear called Dutch Tech,it is extremely light and the quietest stuff I have found for PVC type rain gear,not partcularly expensive either,about $40 per piece.I bought the pants and will use the Rain suede jacket in hard rain.I have Wolfskin two sets one lined and the other unlined.They are quite water repellent and I intend to make them more so by treating them with nikwax wash in water proofing,I am anticipating that they will be my garments 99% of the time,the rain suede and Dutch tech will only be worn in real hard rain,when an animal isn't going to hear the swoosh in your rain gears fabric any way.
Sitka gear has come out with some rain gear,their down pour series,but it is incredibly expensive,almost $300 per piece.I feel pretty good about my choices,the wolfskin getting the majority of the work.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scot,

Did you wear that out here when you and I hunted whities? Trying to remember...
Old 06-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bass Pro/Redhead Pac-Lite is what I use. Folds up very compact, weighs about a pound total (jacket and pants) and is GORE-TEX.

Whatever you get, make sure its acctually GORE-TEX, not some knock-off. This is one thing that cannot be cheaply immitated. GORE is the only lightweight and breathable material I have found.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Troy,
No I was wearing fleece I believe.It is actually the moisture out there that has had me be on this search for the "perfect" clothing or combination of clothing for the Idaho climate and vegetation.I like the wolfskin a lot,I have one Grey Wolf Woolens set (jacket and pants) and they are lined.They are in the middle of the range from unlined to comformax lined to lite loft lined.They are the comformax lined.In hind sight I would have bought the unlined and layered under them for a bit more versatility.I have a set of unlined wolfskin (Enigma)on the way.I nevered wanted to pack clothing on my back but I think it is unavoidable.Walk in light and carry additional layers as needed.Some peoples thing is bows or rifles mine is clothing.I am always looking for the right combination for whatever elements i am in.I have bought quite a bit of mountaineering type clothing over the last couple of years,light but with high warmth to weight ratio's.If it is going on my back I want to minimize the weight.
You have always been pleased with your Cabela's fleece,with goretex or dryplus right? You do plenty of walking,if that stuff wicks to keep you dry and is warm when you need it to be,you have got it licked.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

Cabelas rain Suede is good choice
I second this rain gear. I bought some last year like it very much.