HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lightweight Gear
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 07:58 AM
BowHntrRick
Spike

Default RE: Lightweight Gear

I think the carbon based clothing is a farce (but that is a whole different topic), but I love the silver thread technology clothing such asMedalist: as opposed to non-silver synthetic clothing that will stink something terrible in a very short time after sweating and cotton clothing that never dries after sweating (leaving you cold and clammy all day), the silver thread stuff really resists odor while wicking sweat away from your skin and drying quickly. It also lasts as long as the clothing and requires no special care. I like to wear it for more activities than simply hunting.

I purchased a "compression" shirt from Cabelas that included the silver technology.Although it is advertised as winter clothing, it is totally unsuitable for winter use since the tight fit conducts heat away from your skin: it is like wearing a form fitting shirt made out of aluminum foil. However,I plan to try it in the warmer weatherfor this very reason.

I also have a Cabelas Revolution Fleece pull-over jacket that I like very much: it is water-proof, comfortable, and it has a hood that I can pull on if there is any serious rain. I expect to eventually get some pants to match for rain protection when temperaturesare 45-60 degrees.

If no rain is expected, I have a Cabelas fleece jacket with a wind-proof layer and Thinsulate insulation (TEF or something like that) that is very comfortable. It is not camo, but it is black and dark green which, along with the camo safety harness/vest, is adequate. It is also very quiet.

When temperatures are in the 70-80 degree range as they often are in the early bow season in PA, I do not know of rain gear that will not cause you to sweat profusely. Idon't generally hunt in steady rain anyway, so that is not normally a problem.