Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

atv noise well hunting

Old 04-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default atv noise well hunting

ok i am ready to buy my atv i am going with a can am outlander 800 max

I will use it for hunting
but i will not be driving down to my stand your blind and hunting right by the thing

I will use it manly for getting to the hard to find ruff road area at the fish and wildlife area by my house

There is one area i can get to buy driveing down a area by some railroad track but it is a 3/4 mile walk the only other way is a 200 yard walk but right through there bedding area

will the noise be enough to run them off with how i will use it

i was looking at a kit to drop the noise by 50% for 500 bucks is it worth the money
Old 04-06-2008, 12:26 PM
JT
Spike

Default RE: atv noise well hunting

If you have the ability to drive around the area about 2-3 times per week then I wouldn't worry about it to much. They will get used to it. If you just plan on driving out the days you hunt, you will probably spook them. Our property gets alot of ATV action and the deer will hang tight. We can drive right by the food plot as they eat and they will stay put. They will probably hang even tighter in bedding area.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Spike

atv's are only for working,I use mine for food plots and hauling deer out of the woods,but only after I drag them away from my stand site.I always walk in and out no matter the distance.Stay away from the bedding areas you will run them off for sure.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

i disagree. for where i am anyways and what i see, i dont use my 4 wheeler for getting to from a hunting area but just out riding it never seems to bother them at all. in fact, i can usually drive the skidder right up to a lot of deer that are feeding on the tops of the last hitch i cut and it doesnt bother them at all. its not a "predatory" noise to them really. not like foot steps crunching in the leaves which is more apt to spook 'em then a your wheeler. ide save you $500.00 also. i doubt it will make much differance as far as spoking them
Old 04-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of my favorite urban hunting areas are along railway tracks and pockets of trees in the middle of open loggings and just barely legal distance away off of highways..
I've talked to railway engineers, and who hunt and they say some of the biggest bucks they see are just off the tracks,
and they stay put..
Loggers and skitter operataters will, say the same thing..
The fact of the matter is, all these animals are used to man made machinery sounds.
Its not noise of the machinery that gets them moving, its the "chasing and the hunting pressure" that moves them on..

Old 04-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks alot guys

i do have the ability to ride by two or three times a week since it is 1 mile or so from my house and here in indiana and my county i can ride down any city county or state road as long has i have a dln
So i can ride by there alot

the train tracks are well used mining area they get train down them every hour or so

Old 04-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

the farms i hunt i also ride 4 wheelers on for play and we meaning 4 atv riding together have come up on a doe and two fawns before withing 15 yards and they stayed still i always figured the constant sound of the engine and sounds of the ag equipment they are used to it and dont feel in danger but know riding in the pure mountains on an atv if they arent used to it i could see them being more skittish
Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

We own 3 farms...I've killed about 30-40 deer while running the combine or tractor...I've killed that many more with an ATV parked within 25 yards of the stand I was in...In farm country, equipment doesn't bother deer...You will spook them faster on foot than on an ATV...
Old 04-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

buy one of those secondary muffler systems......cabelas sells them.....certainly a quieter atv would be better than a lounder one.

they should make a hunting atv.....quiet.......powerful if possible, who needs to go faster than 35mph on an atv? esp a utility atv.

but ya that additional muffler device I'd get.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive used the Benz Silent Rider for two years now,really cuts the noise down ride up on deer in the woods,small game etc,well worth the money
Ipaid for it,would do it again in a heart beat,cheaper then Cabelas to!