Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Noise

Old 10-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bow Noise

My 1 year o;ld Element makes twanging sound when I fire it. I have put on string silencers and even put silencers on the cables but it is still there. Noise doesnt seem to be coming from assessories. Any suggestions? It has done this since I bought it. Didnt notice it when I shot it at Cabelas.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow Noise

All strings creep with age. Better ones only creep about 1/4" and are done. Most factory strings creep upwards of an inch or more. This changes cam orientation. Draw length gets longer, the weight goes up and the cam(s) get over rotated. This can lead to more vibration and the subsequent noise.

Being as your bow has done it from day one your cam(s) may have been over rotated when it left the factory. Sorry, but they don't nitpick them when they build them.

If the cam(s) is over rotated then you need to put it in a bow press and twist the string some. How many twists? Depends on the length of the string, but if it's a single cam bow I would go at least 10 twists just for starters. Most factory strings only have about 1/4 to 1/2 the twists that they should have anyway.

Oh, and if your bow isn't wearing any get a set of Simms Limb Savers, too.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:18 PM

check the drawlength module screws too.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:30 PM

is it a one piece or two piece quiver?........i found that 1 piece quivers make more noise........in my experience

otto
Old 10-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

My Parker also makes that slight twanging sound. I test shot it in the indoors range and didn't hear it. When I shot it outside I heard it and took in back to have limbsavers installed on it. Shot it inside and didn't hear it, brought it home and outside it appeared again. The limbsavers quieted it down alot, but it gets more and more quiet the more I shoot it. The guy I was shooting with before said he couldn't hear the bow from ten yards at all and I have no reason to doubt him. For some reason the twanging sound just doesn't show up when I shoot indoors, only outdoors.