Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neck shots ethical????

Old 02-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Neck shots ethical????

ORIGINAL: MarquetteMagnum

Wow,,,,,touchy, touchy, I won't do it, I have had to use my tage twice on deer that had their jaws blown off. I think that is discusting and cruel. BAD, BAD, BAD. I will teach my children and all else to wait for the broad side shot.
What does a neck shot have to do with a head shot..
Geez if youraiming for the neck and hit the head that be no diff than pullin for a broadside, behind the shoulder shoulder, and hitting the gut or the rump.Thatsup to do 2 ft. diff
Common now, you have to be confident in your shooting abilities, in all situations. If ya wait you wait for a broadside shot you wait, but thats just patheticto take a shot and ya miss by two feet..You shouldn't be shootin or hunting to begin with...
Why even bring that into the senerio...
If you're that worried and you're gonna teach your kids that if ya shoot for the neck you may hit the jaw bone, your doing a huge huge diservice..
Shooting and hitting your intended point of aim is where its at, always and always..From 0 yrds to infinity...
Not these what ifs and maybies, because like I said two ft could mean even a broadside a behind the shoulder shot can be a or gut or rump from 0yrds to infinity

Old 02-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

Heart/Lung shots are for archers.. Just Kidding
I think some get too serious on this subject..Both neck and heart shots will do the job.
I know some people that were taught to shoot at the shoulder, what a mess that makes.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

I really don't see a problem with it if the person knows what their doing and performs it to perfection.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:14 PM

They're do-able... But I'd rather not. Shoulder shot is #1 anytime. If you know exactly where the spine is, and you know you can make the shot... Then it might be acceptable. But I personally wouldn't do it.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

I have generally had great success with neckshots with 12 gauge standard slugs. However, this year I had a front on shot at aNice (for NY)7 point. Hit the buck about 2 inches off dead center of the spine, and the bullet lodged in the back of the skin on the back of the neck. Just missed spine. the buck was finally put down 300 yards later, and it appeared the neck shot didnt even slow it down. I wondered if i had been shooting sabots, or my muzzle loader sabots (more frangible) if it would have put the deer down on the spot. should have just waited for a better shot i guess, as i wasn't the last person to get the deer to go down.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

People are very touchy and serious on this subject. Really, its not a big deal. If you want to shoot the deer in the neck go for it. If you happen to shoot a little off don't make a good shot, the same thing could have happened if you made a bad shot in the rump. IMO, I wouldn't shoot in the neck, just because I've always shot them in the vitals.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:07 PM

The thing is... Is that if you hit her/him in the windpipe, and the deer keeps running, it won't die yet. It won't even bleed much if any. As long as it's running, oxygen will keep going down the hole. But as soonasit stops sheor hewill die. And also all neck shots aren't fatal. I know that it seems hard to believe but it's true. As I posted above, you shouldn't do it unless you KNOW that you can make the shot. Please, use your heads and keep the animals from suffering. Make sure that you hit it in the spine if you HAVE to take the shot. Try for a clean kill. No, I'm not a anti-hunter by saying don't shoot. Which is more important, killing a deer, or making sure that the animals die as painlessly as possible. I'm not saying that if a deer runs then you didn't do a good job. Few shots kill the deer right there. All I'm trying to say is this.

IF YOU CAN'T BE SURE THAT YOU CAN MAKE THE SHOT, DON'T TRY FOR IT!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was taught to use lung shots,but early on in my hunting career,I did take a neck shot or two.However,after having to chase three different neck shot deer that fell at the shot then suddenly jumped up and ran off,I found out that neck shots are not either clean misses or quick kills as many people would have us believe.I tracked one deer that bled out and died after about 1/4 mile,found another bedded down too weak to get up after a considerable distance,and shot the third as it jumped up and began to run away.In each case the shot had struck the vertebrae,or very close to it,but the spinal cord was not severed.In each case either the esophagus or jugular was damaged,and the animal was severely injured,but there was no quick clean kill.
As to head shots,I have seen deer fall at the shot,then jump up and run away.I have also seen deer run off to starve with the jaw dangling.
Since then,myself and my partners use lung shots exclusively as the vital zone is much larger,with much less chance of a wounded animal.When using cartridges like the 7mmstw,or 300ultramag,with ballistic tips or the barnes tsx,the kills have been very quick and clean with lung shots.I have not had to track an animal that I have shot, in well over 10 years.
If people want to use neck shots,that is their business,but they are increasing the risk of a wounded animal by doing so.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

personal i have never taken a neck shot but if someone else does i'm fine with it as long as you hit where you aim, that's what it's about the cleanest kills that you can provide
Old 02-27-2008, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

Since we are calling BS, I would like to call BS to "ethics" topics on this message board. Anyone who wants to sound high and mighty just starts thowing around the term "ethics". It has really become a joke and to me has been degraded.

That said, if I am presented a "sure thing" neck shot, I am going to take it, but if a heart/lung shot is more practical, then I am taking the shot that will put the deer on the ground.

I don't go hunting for "ethics". I hunt for deer and use the most humane and legal means to bring one home.
agreed