Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Neck shots?

Old 08-07-2003, 03:34 PM

Default Neck shots?

i have never shot at a deers necks but i have heard of people who do. i hunt till its dark dark and as it gets dark, i make it a point that anytime after that if a deer comes walking up i will shoot it in the neck. does anyone shoot for the deers neck? success or failure? i am curious. i might try it this year. i figure i either hit the spine and it drops, it hits the jugular and bleeds out really quick.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:37 PM

Default RE: Neck shots?

I shot my first deer in the neck, not on purpose. It was a doe, walking at about 32 yards. I was following her with my draw, and shot as she stopped. My arrow hit right in front of her shoulders, and dropped her. It is not a shot to try for, too much can go wrong. I hope I never hit a deer in the neck again, but it is fatal.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I can' t get a broadside double lung type angle, I generally am not shooting. In my opinion, the neck is a poor, poor target, as the two things you mention you " might hit" are small targets. Miss them, and the animal is in a miserable state.

If I' m not sure of my target spot, I pass. Plain and simple. I would never just fling an arrow and hope it hits something important, especially at dark.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

High risk shot. Too small of a target in my opinion. Also think of this, if the animal jumps or moves, more than likely it will move its head first.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:25 PM

Double lung or don' t shoot.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:34 PM

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto. The necks kill zone is much to small for an ethical shot.

Several years ago, I watched a hunting video where the archer was shooting a bedded buck. The buck angle was quartering away. The hunter hit the deer in the hindquarter. The guide turned to the hunter and said " great shot, you hit that deer right in the femoral artery" I about came out of my chair. To this day I still believe he was aiming at the heart/lung region and missed, and the guide for the sake of the video made that statement to cover up the miss. They did recover the deer.

IMO the heart lung region is the only ethical shot on a deer. Especially with archery equipment.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:17 PM

put with new broadheads that cut 2 inch holes, the odds of hitting the arteries are much greater. just a though
Old 08-07-2003, 05:30 PM

The only time i shot a deer in the neck was with a .270, and it was quartering towards me I hit thr far shoulder. With archery it is lungs or nothing.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Poor percentage shot. Not worth it. I suspect you' ll have more misses and wounds than actual dead deer. We know they can move fast and in fact jump fast enough to make a good shot bad. They don' t have to move the neck far to be safe or wounded. I don' t care if it' s ethical or not.... it just isn' t worth it.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:13 PM
New Sheriff

I have shot two deer in the neck with a bow, both in the same year, both got away.

2 neck shots = 2 wounded deer

Both shots were on purpose. The first was at last light, all I could see was her head and neck, I took the neck shot at 20 yds and she ran off. She left a trememdous blood trail for a few hundred yds then very little. We saw her three days later with a bloody spot on her neck, otherwise she looked very healthy.

Quick Reply: Neck shots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.