HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Neck shots ethical????
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 08:29 PM
stubblejumper
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Neck shots ethical????

I was taught to use lung shots,but early on in my hunting career,I did take a neck shot or two.However,after having to chase three different neck shot deer that fell at the shot then suddenly jumped up and ran off,I found out that neck shots are not either clean misses or quick kills as many people would have us believe.I tracked one deer that bled out and died after about 1/4 mile,found another bedded down too weak to get up after a considerable distance,and shot the third as it jumped up and began to run away.In each case the shot had struck the vertebrae,or very close to it,but the spinal cord was not severed.In each case either the esophagus or jugular was damaged,and the animal was severely injured,but there was no quick clean kill.
As to head shots,I have seen deer fall at the shot,then jump up and run away.I have also seen deer run off to starve with the jaw dangling.
Since then,myself and my partners use lung shots exclusively as the vital zone is much larger,with much less chance of a wounded animal.When using cartridges like the 7mmstw,or 300ultramag,with ballistic tips or the barnes tsx,the kills have been very quick and clean with lung shots.I have not had to track an animal that I have shot, in well over 10 years.
If people want to use neck shots,that is their business,but they are increasing the risk of a wounded animal by doing so.