Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neck shots ethical????

Old 02-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Neck shots ethical????

If you hit behind the shoulder your going to bloddy up meat, if you hit the shoulder you have just ruined both shoulders.
I know 99% of you guys here hunt with cannons, every deer I have hit behind or in the shoulder with my .243 has left lots of damage and coagulated meat on the shoulders. The neck shot wastes less meat, period !
This pic is the damage of a shot behind the shoulder, it just clipped some shoulder meat but not the bone, from a .243. This pic is as I'm removing the shoulder during proccessing. Lots of coagulation. the meat is not totally ruined if you feel like sifting through it and scraping off all the bloody mess.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I do necks shots as much as possible..
Sure you have a smaller window, but if ya miss that window( I have yet to) the odds of the game recovering from the wound and surviving is much greater.( Cause if ya miss the spine , juggular,vocals)all thats left is muscle.
Sure a behind tjhe shoulder shot has a better chance of killing, BUTTTT
You hit a deer too high too low too far back on a broad side shot, you end up wounding and losing it, with all the organs, loss of blood, huge exit wounds and internal damage, the deer will suffer greatly,and end up dieing a slow long painful death...

Old 02-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

I like neck shots you either drop them or you miss just take your time and squeeze when attempting neck shot
Old 02-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

neck shots with highly frangible bullets will drop a deer every time if you dont hit some thing vital, the bullet explodes and destroys anything within 6 inches in a deers neck that means something vital will be destroyed
Old 02-22-2008, 06:47 PM

I was just browsing and ran across this discussion so heres my two cents worth, I've been deer hunting for over thirty years and have only shot one deerbehind the front shoulder just to check bullet performance, it made a mess and for a long track. Every other deer (there has been many) has been shot in the neck and have never taken another step, as far as ethics this provides a very fast kill, the other ethical question is our you qaulified to take neck shots, if you put in the time to pratice and our confident in your ability Neck Shoot if not don't.....I far as buck fever goes, if you can cover 5 shots at a hundred yards with a dime(I can with every rifle I carry) a little "fever" want make a difference, if you consider accuraccy hitting a pie plate at a 100 don't take neck shots and just to stir the pot It could happen next season, but as of now I have never missed a neck shot and you want either if you spend the time at the range, thats the question, our you and your gun qaulified to take Neck Shots, you can be if you take the time, you owe it to your prey!!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:51 PM

Oh, I almost forgot, it doesn't take a cannon to kill with a neck shot, all of my victims have fallen to 250-3000, 6mm , 243 and my most macho gun the 308, its not size that matters boys its bullet placement!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigpappa

I was just browsing and ran across this discussion so heres my two cents worth, I've been deer hunting for over thirty years and have only shot one deerbehind the front shoulder just to check bullet performance, it made a mess and for a long track. Every other deer (there has been many) has been shot in the neck and have never taken another step, as far as ethics this provides a very fast kill, the other ethical question is our you qaulified to take neck shots, if you put in the time to pratice and our confident in your ability Neck Shoot if not don't.....I far as buck fever goes, if you can cover 5 shots at a hundred yards with a dime(I can with every rifle I carry) a little "fever" want make a difference, if you consider accuraccy hitting a pie plate at a 100 don't take neck shots and just to stir the pot It could happen next season, but as of now I have never missed a neck shot and you want either if you spend the time at the range, thats the question, our you and your gun qaulified to take Neck Shots, you can be if you take the time, you owe it to your prey!!
Over 30 years of hunting and have never missed a deer and have had only one run. Hmmm
Old 02-22-2008, 10:22 PM

I always take a neck shot if I can. A deer shot in the neck goes nowhere. A missed shot at the neck is most often a true miss. A missed shot at the chest is commonly gut shot. talk about inhumane.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:06 PM

I haven't heard that a neck shot is unethical, but low percentage; if you don't hit the spine or the carotid arteries. Those neck shots are pretty impressive to watch Waddell and some of the 'other' pros make. I dropped my biggest buck; which wasn't very big, due to a misplaced neck shot.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow,,,,,touchy, touchy, I won't do it, I have had to use my tage twice on deer that had their jaws blown off. I think that is discusting and cruel. BAD, BAD, BAD. I will teach my children and all else to wait for the broad side shot.

Quick Reply: Neck shots ethical????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.