Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Am I wrong here..?

Old 12-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Am I wrong here..?

RockinChair, I recall in your post that this man is a relative and it sounds like your club is more or less a family affair. I recognize it complicates things.

This is called enabling, and this person will keep acting this way as long as he is allowed to pick up a gun and roam the property. Tolerating him will not only ruin everyone elses' hunting, but hurt the sport and the game.

Here's some options:

1. Simply telling him he can't hunt with you anymore--and getting the authorities involved if necessary to keep him away. Not easy given the family connection, but there may be no alternative.

2. Disbanding your club and getting rid of the property or at least access to it. This is a nuclear option and one I'm sure you'd rather not take.

3. Putting him on probation. A group of leaders, or maybe all of you, present him a written list of conditions he has to meet or he's out.

4. If this is not an entirely family operation, perhaps you can get out of the leadership roles so someone can take care of him without the messy family problem.

5. Voter's box sounds like a good idea. It might be useful for taking this out of your hands and giving it to someone who is more free to act.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:27 PM

Obviously, you guys did what real hunters would do. You didn't give up on the finding the animal and worked the bloodtrail. The deer was going to die, but your father may have never got a shot if your "buddy" hadn't wounded it first. As much as I don't want to say this, the deer belongs to the jackass. However, you and your father should take pride in doing the right thing even though others may not.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I appreciate your advice Father Forkhorn. We actually suggested a sit down meeting with him and our grandmother ((who actually owns the land in legal documentation, but shows no interest in it until conflict arrives, and she can say "Its my land I can do whatever I want on it" those are her exact words, we actually manage the land)) who allows Encore to act this waybut she felt that we were "ganging up on him". When were actually trying to straighten all this mess out so we could all enjoy our hunting season. But it was all pushed to the side because she wanted Encore to just have the best season ever. She actually suggested that we not hunt Thanksgiving Week, and just let Encore enjoy himself back there.(She told him to shoot a 4 ptr. after we told her of our management practices, and she felt that we should just shoot whatever we want.) Mind you, as i said before we manage theland.Split the firewood, brush hog the fields, maintain the roads, and also to mention we also LIVE on the property.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Chair, sometimes its better to move on to a managed lease than to deal with family. Hunting is a passionate lifestyle for all of us, but its not worth breaking up a family. I would drop out, and find another place to hunt..........and hopefully your buddy's will come with you
Old 12-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Old 12-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

In Michigan the deer belongs to the person whom obtains the deer by fatally shooting it.

Some people just "expect" to get a buck whether they prepare and work for them or not.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dude first of all... You guys should of just told this guy that you and your father would look for the deer and just sent him back to the club house!!! Especially after knowing this guys track record...If this story is in fact true... Your father should of told this guy he was a F ing A hole and that there is no way on gods green earth that he was going to give this buck to him... And if he didn't like it I would of kicked his A right there on the spot... Them I would of talked to someone to get him out off the club... If this club backed this A hole... I would start looking for another club... Or do like i do and just hunt public land
Old 12-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

I agree Mr Longbeard...