Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who still hunts?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Who still hunts?

For purposes of this post, "still hunting" is hunting by walking very slow through deer ground trying to visually locate deer before they see the hunter. While the distinction may not be key, I would distinguish still hunting from stalking on the basis that stalking is attempting to get closer to deer whose location is already known.

So, who "still hunts" deer and what are your secrets of success? How many snap shots do you take on running deer versus deer that are stationary? What is the typical range of your shots? What is the key to getting close to the deer? How fast do you move?

I normally hunt deer from ground blinds, which is often successful for me. This is a little boring, however, and isn't very productive during the middle of the day. I have done some still hunting and have kicked up deer, but have never had a good shot that I was willing to take on the running deer. I know I move way to fast, so that is number one for me to improve. I think if I could have some success at this that I would find it very satisfying and thrilling. I think it would also provide me with new insights and understanding of hunting.

So you serious still hunters, talk about how you do it.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:01 PM

Default RE: Who still hunts?

Though the grass is too tall this year, I've spotted and stalked deer with success many times. The idea isn't to kick them up and get them running, but rather to locate the deer and get into a position to take a successful shot. I've found it much tougher with whitetails, but have never really hunted mule deer by any other means.

This year, with chin high broom weed and temperatures still hitting 80 at times, the idea of stalking is completely out both from the standpoint of seeing the deer and kicking up the occasional rattlesnake.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:44 PM

I do it, but I don't have any secrets of success, since my success is limited. I mainly do it because an injury keeps me from sitting as long as I would like. One thing I have done is if I jump some, I do a coyote yip that sometimes stops them. I also have started using a turkey mouth call while I walk. The deer are used to the turkeys crunching thru the leaves and clucking down there, just don't overdo it. If you call turkeys in to you, they will see you and take off, making a lot of noise.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:39 AM

i still hunt alot, my secrets? i take my time, I am very very in tune with my own movements and try to move slowly. sometimes I might go 100yrds in an hr(depending on where and how I am hunting). I play the wind, I use creek beds or streams to hide noise I might make if they are on my route(plus bucks seem to be around them). I love the day after rainstorms and sometimes during light rain...snow of course is great too as usually the woods are quiter and easier to move quitley through. I use binoculars often to scan ahead.

My big thing is being consiece of whats moving while your moving, I catch myself swinging thingsor moving things when I move that I didnt notice because I am devoting so much attention to scanning in front of me. Another thing I do is plot a course through the woods in my head and look for good passages and what not to be quite and to be near tree's in case I do need to make a shot it offers cover and maybe a rest.

These are just the things I do, some may not agree but so far I have done well with em.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

I live in southern Indiana in the ohio river valley. We have really steep and roling hills that usually have creeks or streams running through their valleys as tributaries to the ohio. I've had alot of success still hunting on these hills because often their isn't alot that can grow on these hill sides and the deer will bed down and rest their during the mid part of the day. What I do is I walk in slow and pick a spot where I have a good vantage point and just sit there and wait for about 40 minutes to an hour. Then I'll pick a place at the limits of where I can see and slowly creep toward that place and sit and wait. Thats pretty much how I do it. I've read that your suppose to sit shorter and move more often than that. The key for me is being able to see. I personally am not very good at shooting deer on the run when I kick them up. The main things are move slow and take your time.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

I still hunt by walking very slowly for a distance of 10 to 15 yards and stop and scan the area for atleast five minutes and then procede doing the same for as long as I can. Once you spot a deer, you can pick your next move by keeping an eye on when the deer is not focused on your direction. I find it fairly easy to sneak up on deer once you spot them and they have now idea of you presence. I try to thirty yards or less before taking a shot when I am bow hunting, but with a gun I have taken shots to my limits but still try to get as close as the deer will let me. The best time to do a still hunt is durring or after a rain to help quiet the woods. You will be more successful if you have some sort of optics to help you identifiy somthing that appears to be a deer. Use the terrain to your advantage, anything to help keep you out of sight or break up your outline. Also, if it is sunny try to stick to the shadows of trees and avoid standing in the light as much as possible because you will stick out with the sun hitting you, one thing I learned from Fred Bear.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:11 AM

I still-hunt a lot with both gun and bow, and have been sucessful with both. A couple rules of thumb: travel about 100 yards per hour, and move no more than 10 - 15 yards at a time. Do the math: That means remaining stationary for an average of 5 minutes each time you stop. These are just rules of thumb, you have to be flexible based on terrain, deer sign, weather conditions, etc.

You are basically moving from one natural ground blind to the next. Use the first 3 of your five minute stop actively looking for deer, on red alert to shoot. Use the next two minutes figuring out where you'll stop next, look at the big picture, your next five stops. I've had my best luck hunting in heavy cover, and I get some close shots that way. It takes a lot of skill to travel through some cover without alerting game. In more open terrain, the crucial moment is when you clear a break in the terrain and open up a new veiw of landscape. Approach the break with utmost attention, hiding your outline and movement, ready to shoot.

The wind is your most important consideration. If it is swirling, you can increase your speed and just hope to get lucky, cover some ground and plan future hunts. If the wind is consistent, stay downwind of the cover you expect to hold deer. Use soil or smoke or aromatic vegetation to help mask your scent.

Widen out your vision and become hyper aware of everything around you. Keep your mind focused in the present moment. Let the hunt unfold. If you're truly in the game, you won't get bored or distracted, because there aremany details to consider at every moment while still-hunting. Sometimes game will move into your position on its own.

I use my calls fairly aggressively when stillhunting, and I've had some sucess with them.

If the ground is crunchy, no worries. Try to keep your steps relaxed, avoid major twigs, and try for a cadence that sounds like an animal.Take short quick steps as quiet as possible, from one position to the next. Noise is very overrated when it comes to deer hunting.

Movement is very underrated. Don't swing your weapon around, or goof around with any of your clothing or equipment. Your clothing and equipment package should be silent and secured for transport. If you need to adjust clothing or access a piece of equipment, hide yourself to do it.