HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who still hunts?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default Who still hunts?

For purposes of this post, "still hunting" is hunting by walking very slow through deer ground trying to visually locate deer before they see the hunter. While the distinction may not be key, I would distinguish still hunting from stalking on the basis that stalking is attempting to get closer to deer whose location is already known.

So, who "still hunts" deer and what are your secrets of success? How many snap shots do you take on running deer versus deer that are stationary? What is the typical range of your shots? What is the key to getting close to the deer? How fast do you move?

I normally hunt deer from ground blinds, which is often successful for me. This is a little boring, however, and isn't very productive during the middle of the day. I have done some still hunting and have kicked up deer, but have never had a good shot that I was willing to take on the running deer. I know I move way to fast, so that is number one for me to improve. I think if I could have some success at this that I would find it very satisfying and thrilling. I think it would also provide me with new insights and understanding of hunting.

So you serious still hunters, talk about how you do it.