HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who still hunts?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 11:11 AM
waiting_for_a_gift

Default RE: Who still hunts?

I still-hunt a lot with both gun and bow, and have been sucessful with both. A couple rules of thumb: travel about 100 yards per hour, and move no more than 10 - 15 yards at a time. Do the math: That means remaining stationary for an average of 5 minutes each time you stop. These are just rules of thumb, you have to be flexible based on terrain, deer sign, weather conditions, etc.

You are basically moving from one natural ground blind to the next. Use the first 3 of your five minute stop actively looking for deer, on red alert to shoot. Use the next two minutes figuring out where you'll stop next, look at the big picture, your next five stops. I've had my best luck hunting in heavy cover, and I get some close shots that way. It takes a lot of skill to travel through some cover without alerting game. In more open terrain, the crucial moment is when you clear a break in the terrain and open up a new veiw of landscape. Approach the break with utmost attention, hiding your outline and movement, ready to shoot.

The wind is your most important consideration. If it is swirling, you can increase your speed and just hope to get lucky, cover some ground and plan future hunts. If the wind is consistent, stay downwind of the cover you expect to hold deer. Use soil or smoke or aromatic vegetation to help mask your scent.

Widen out your vision and become hyper aware of everything around you. Keep your mind focused in the present moment. Let the hunt unfold. If you're truly in the game, you won't get bored or distracted, because there aremany details to consider at every moment while still-hunting. Sometimes game will move into your position on its own.

I use my calls fairly aggressively when stillhunting, and I've had some sucess with them.

If the ground is crunchy, no worries. Try to keep your steps relaxed, avoid major twigs, and try for a cadence that sounds like an animal.Take short quick steps as quiet as possible, from one position to the next. Noise is very overrated when it comes to deer hunting.

Movement is very underrated. Don't swing your weapon around, or goof around with any of your clothing or equipment. Your clothing and equipment package should be silent and secured for transport. If you need to adjust clothing or access a piece of equipment, hide yourself to do it.