HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who still hunts?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Roadkillwarrior
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who still hunts?

I still hunt by walking very slowly for a distance of 10 to 15 yards and stop and scan the area for atleast five minutes and then procede doing the same for as long as I can. Once you spot a deer, you can pick your next move by keeping an eye on when the deer is not focused on your direction. I find it fairly easy to sneak up on deer once you spot them and they have now idea of you presence. I try to thirty yards or less before taking a shot when I am bow hunting, but with a gun I have taken shots to my limits but still try to get as close as the deer will let me. The best time to do a still hunt is durring or after a rain to help quiet the woods. You will be more successful if you have some sort of optics to help you identifiy somthing that appears to be a deer. Use the terrain to your advantage, anything to help keep you out of sight or break up your outline. Also, if it is sunny try to stick to the shadows of trees and avoid standing in the light as much as possible because you will stick out with the sun hitting you, one thing I learned from Fred Bear.