Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finishing off a deer

Old 11-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finishing off a deer

xd9...gotta give em time to die...ill bet yall yahooed after it was shot ...... dont be in a rush....it was laying in the tall grass..back off a bit and watch it...at close ranges with a high powered rifle one can feel the effects of ricochette .......and as to taking a critter out ..I do what I have to and enjoy it..Thats what top of the food chain is about
Old 11-28-2007, 07:27 PM

If we have to tell you how to finish one off then maybe you should not be hunting! Do you want to save meat? Or do you not want to get to messy? For crying out loud ifyou shot something its going to be a little messy. Shot the D@MN thing in the head and get it over with. The only way I would not shot it in the head is if it were a massive buck whichI intended to mount then I would shot it in the heart. Dont worry about it being to messy. If you would try to heart shoot it and shoot to far back would it be messy? I think so. Do you want brains or guts. Im going with brains.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Base of the neck - 12ga close range really gets it done.

All hunters need to be prepared for a blatting, mortally wounded deer - it can and will happen if you hunt long enough.

FH
Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Spike

happened to me 2nd day of Illinois gun season shot right through the back a dropped it in its tracks, when I approached it was very much alive and pulling itself forward with front legs (hated to watch) I then shot it right behind the shoulder and it expired in a few seconds. But it runs through my mind every now and then. Its good to see lots of guys feel the same love to hunt and kill but dont like to see suffering.