Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finishing off a deer

Old 11-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finishing off a deer

why in the world would you cut a deer's throat to finish it off??? That has always puzzled me. Just walk up to it and shoot it in the lungs/heart. The ONLY reason i can see to cut the throat is if you have no more ammo or arrows.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

If finishing the job bothers you, don't start it. Simple.
this is as far from right as you could be. If you honestly dont mind finishing off an animal that is suffering and it doesnt bother you, then you are the one who shouldnt be starting it my friend. It is a hard thing to do, nearly all of us have or will have to do it someday. If you dont feel bad, i feel bad for you.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that some posters are confusing a concern for the animal with regret or remorse. I don't think that any of those that had to put down a deer with a finishing shot are sorry they did it. They're sorry it happened. Big difference.

I've put down 2 and was pretty relieved both times. I nonetheless wished for better circumstances. Once the animal was mortally wounded the quickest avenue out is best. And when it is performed it is good for all. We can quibble about bad shots but if you are blessed to have never had one it's possible that others have done more hunting than you.

The natural traits and abilities of empathy, sensitivity andrespect are not to be confused with weakness erupting from cold feet upon the act of killing. That happens too, and when it does sometimes the hunter with that emotion DOESN'T ever hunt again. It happens.

The ability to let oneself feel or imagine the pain and misery of other creatures is one of the things that, perhaps theoretically, separates us from the other creatures of the earth. The respect and valuing of all life is not a deal breaker in becoming a hunter. Far from it. In fact, the less respect you pay your quarry the more you are announcing it's lack of value.

Still, it can be a messy business to take an animals life, and we all have to decide how and when we do it, and how we choose to view it and experience it. The one who takes a life has at least that right.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: milesrhit10

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

If finishing the job bothers you, don't start it. Simple.
this is as far from right as you could be. If you honestly dont mind finishing off an animal that is suffering and it doesnt bother you, then you are the one who shouldnt be starting it my friend. It is a hard thing to do, nearly all of us have or will have to do it someday. If you dont feel bad, i feel bad for you.
I am dead on. Reread my 2nd post.Putting a sufferinganimal down brings me no enjoyment - But I do feel a sense of relief that I was able to end its suffering.
I stand by my statement - if you feel bad having to finishthe job, maybe you need to not start it. When I need to do it, I do feel bad that I did not do a better job with the 1st shot. I then seek to finish the kill as quickly and humanly as possible. I just don't understand how you can feel sorrow on a second finishing shot and not on the 1st. How is it any harder on the 2nd shot? It is simply part of the process sometimes.If killing an animal brings you such sorrow and you continue to do it, then I feel sorry for you. Perhaps you need to find another hobby?

I refuse to participate in optional activities that would bring me sorrow. Hunting is not one of those activities - and killing is part of hunting.

Steve
Old 11-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great post! And what I was trying to convey.
My respect for the animal does make me sorry I did not do the job to start.
Steve
ORIGINAL: 8mm/06

I think that some posters are confusing a concern for the animal with regret or remorse. I don't think that any of those that had to put down a deer with a finishing shot are sorry they did it. They're sorry it happened. Big difference.

I've put down 2 and was pretty relieved both times. I nonetheless wished for better circumstances. Once the animal was mortally wounded the quickest avenue out is best. And when it is performed it is good for all. We can quibble about bad shots but if you are blessed to have never had one it's possible that others have done more hunting than you.

The natural traits and abilities of empathy, sensitivity andrespect are not to be confused with weakness erupting from cold feet upon the act of killing. That happens too, and when it does sometimes the hunter with that emotion DOESN'T ever hunt again. It happens.

The ability to let oneself feel or imagine the pain and misery of other creatures is one of the things that, perhaps theoretically, separates us from the other creatures of the earth. The respect and valuing of all life is not a deal breaker in becoming a hunter. Far from it. In fact, the less respect you pay your quarry the more you are announcing it's lack of value.

Still, it can be a messy business to take an animals life, and we all have to decide how and when we do it, and how we choose to view it and experience it. The one who takes a life has at least that right.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I can find it I'll re-post something I posted in 2000, (before several big crashes wiped out the history on this site). It relates the deer coup de grace I made with my 17 yr old son in tow. I found myself emotional... and I was a little confused at the time by my reaction, but I had a veteran (don't know which war(s) contact me about the post and if I can find that part I'll post that too.
I think you all might find it worthy of reading and reacting to it.... regardless of how you view it it will be thought provoking.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, a few times a year.Im the guy in the public land who helps strangers find all there gut shot deer, I show them how to gut them, and Ill help drag them too. As long as the hunter isnt a doorknob Ill do all I can to help them. Talking to a wounded animal sometimes calms it down enough to carefully get a sharp knife into the corroted artery. The animal is out of it in seconds. Thats the way I prefer to do it.
ORIGINAL: farmcntry

I use my knife a few times a year too.Be carefull so you dont get kicked or horned.
A few times each year?
You need to learn how to quickly and effectively take a deer if you’re doing this on a regular basis.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Typical Buck

Im sure some people will say it was the wrong way to show me this but whatever- it worked--- When I first started deer hunting I was with my uncle, dad, and my aunt. My aunt shot a small buck and it would NOT die.

My uncle who is a Vietnam vet and a kinda gruff guy, looked at me and said:

"Here's why you need to know gun safety", then he turned and shot the buck right square between the eyes with his 12 ga.

Needless to say it was pretty messy, but I tell ya what, everytime I have my gun, I think of what that deer looked like and it makes me be careful and I never imagined what kinda of damage it would do when I was taking my hunters safety course. Like I said thats been 8 years ago and I still think about- he got his point across.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:17 PM

must of been a spine shot?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Typical Buck

Actually no. Her scope was off and she hit it in the leg, then my uncle popped it in the chest and it still flopped. So then he popped it in the head.

We called it the retard though because all summer/fall it was weird. You could be squirrel hunting and turn around and it would follow you!!!!!!! He would mow and it would follow his mower!!!!! It jumped around like a freaking mule deer!!! He wasn't gonna shoot it but my aunt didnt know it was that deer and she shot it.

Quick Reply: Finishing off a deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.