Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Re-finishing a stock >

Re-finishing a stock

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Re-finishing a stock

Old 11-01-2005, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Re-finishing a stock

Hi everyone. i have a question, I recently decided to refinish my blackpowder gun's stock. it is a TC White Mountain. I removed all the hardware and sanded all aspects of the old varnish / stain off and even the scratches in the wood. I then applied a few coats of stain (minwax red mahogany). My question is does anyone know what I should use to finish it off? I don't want to use a varnish or anything that will be reflective or easily scratched. Someone told me to use linseed oil but I wanted some opinions before I applied that...

Thanks
Old 11-01-2005, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Re-finishing a stock

Linseed oil is difficult to finish with. It takes multiple coats and drys slowly. TryExterior Watco Oil. I use it to finish wooden canoe gunwales and canoe paddles. One or two coats does a great job. Tung oil is another option.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a mixture of tung and linseed oil. Mix in a teaspoon of japan drier to speed the drying.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:48 AM

True oil works for me. Use wet/dry sandpaper between coats...the stuff body shops use or 0000 steel wool. Wait 24 hrs between coats. Good Luck, Rick.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I'll post some pics when I am done! I am going to try the tung/linseed mix, unless I can find the exterior watco oil.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Honestly forget about mixing this and that to get a good finish. There are numerous finishes on the market specifically made for wood gunstocks.

Chem Packs...... Pro Custom oil in in a can or custom oil in aerosol. EAsy to use and gives great results.

Permalyn..... Time consuming but produces an exceptionally hard and beautiful finish.

Tru Oil.... Easy to apply and if you follow the directions it produces a fine finish on wood.

I have used all three of these and they all produce very nice finishes. If you got the time (a couple of weeks) the permalyn is the best of the bunch.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

BigBulls, thanks for the info, any idea ofa good website I can order one of them off of?

Old 11-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again guys, I just ordered Birchwood Casey® Tru-Oil® Gun Stock Finish from bass Pro. I am assuming it will come with instructions?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:58 AM

I have used straight TUNG oil on a few stocks. I like it, it produces a great finish and is simple to apply.

Kev
Old 11-02-2005, 12:52 PM

Minwax also makes a "Wipe-On Poly"..use it like tung oil. I've only used it on a old pair of pistol grips, but I was very pleased with the results.

Quick Reply: Re-finishing a stock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.