Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Upper Peninsula Hunters!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Upper Peninsula Hunters!

Hey,

I have been a U.P. hunter for 15 years, and previously lived in Michigan's U.P. for six years. I hunt in Delta County (Near Escanaba) and just wanted to see if others were seeing more deer this year in my "neck of the woods". I have been to camp three times since July and the activity seems much higher than the years in past. I have taken many mature bucks from my property, but I am just curious if this increase in activity is just more localized or if others (in the western U.P.) are seeing an increase......
Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Upper Peninsula Hunters!

First - welcome to the forum. Hope you get lots of good advice and tips for hunting here.
Second - I find the orange (?) font quite hard to read on my computer. Maybe something darker would be a little easier on old eyes.
Third - I have also been seeing more deer in that area, and I have heard that they are seeing more to the west and also some nice bigger deer this year than in the past. I think these 2-3 mild winters we've had are really starting to show up in the available deer herd.

Good Luck!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Upper Peninsula Hunters!

Thanks for the advice about the font color and the welcome, jaybe, just was trying something different....so do you live in the UP? I work as an Environmental Scientist and have been studying the mild winters on my spare time and I agree that it is playing a key factor in the herd size in the western UP. I am REALLY looking forward to getting up there for this season....our camp in off of the Stonington Peninsula....
Old 08-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

how does this year look?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

How are the bears up there looking?

Probably going to be hunting that 1st season in the next 1-3yrs probably, in Baraga...
Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

I have heard there are a ton near my camp...had one in our camps driveway just a week ago
Old 08-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Spike

I'm from Munising and the deer activity seems to be down from last year. I work for a local logger and we haven't been seeing deer in the woods like last year, this years hunting looks like it'll be tough.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

There was a VERY hard winter...but I think we will see a lot bigger deer...and the weaker ones died off during the freeze....I am looking forward to the season!!