Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Illinois Slug season

Old 10-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Illinois Slug season

Guys,

Unless I'm mistaken (it wouldn't surprise me if I was) that you cannot use a muzzleloader for the 1st gun season, but you can use either a shotgun or Muzzleloader during the second season. Someone correct me please if I'm wrong. Now during the Muzzleloader season you can use the ole smoke poles but not the shotguns.

Anyway for both seasons I plan on being out in Macoupin Co.

Paul
Old 10-31-2007, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Newhunter1 at work

Guys,

Unless I'm mistaken (it wouldn't surprise me if I was) that you cannot use a muzzleloader for the 1st gun season, but you can use either a shotgun or Muzzleloader during the second season. Someone correct me please if I'm wrong. Now during the Muzzleloader season you can use the ole smoke poles but not the shotguns.

Anyway for both seasons I plan on being out in Macoupin Co.

Paul

You can use muzzleloader, handgun, or shotgun 1st, 2nd, and late firearm season(the old handgun season). Muzzleloader season the week after 2nd firearm season is for muzzleloaders only.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

In case anyone hasent heard! illinois lengthened the hunting day, for this year! we have an extra half hour, at the end of the day! it ended at half an hour after sunset before but now it ends an hour after sunset! Extra half hour!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be in Clark Co. with 80 acres all to myselfUsing the trusty 12 ga. pump. I am from Champaign. Good Luck to you guys....and as Andy mentioned, I believe that extra 30 minutes will cause some MONSTERS to be taken this year across the entire state....watch and see.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Fork Horn

newhunter1atwork,
You can use shotgun, handgun, or a muzzleloader during the two firearms seasons. You could carry all three if you wanted to do so. Where you might be confused is that you can use a muzzleloader only permit to hunt the 2nd firearms season, with only an ML of course!
Old 10-31-2007, 11:27 PM
Fork Horn

Anybody using 12 ga Hornady SST sabots this year?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

My brother is using the Hornady SST! he uses them through his remington 870! they shoot a sweet patern for him! they dont shoot near as well through mine though! but if you are going touse them and havent sighted in your gun yet, i highly suggest purchasing WOLF's they shoot bout the same (up to 50 yards, and dont travel quite as fast) but gives you a really good starting point! then once you get a good pattern shoot the Hornadys and fine tune it! saves tons of money!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Spike

Greene Co. for me...watchin a funnel with standing rows of corn and beans on each side if the winds right.