Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question for Scrape experts

Old 10-23-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Question for Scrape experts

Hey everyone, I got a question regarding scrapes. While hunting this weekend (opening weekend), I noticed that there were scrapes everywhere! Ranging from a foot across to four feet across with the majority being around 2-3 feet across. Anyway, at the same time, I noticed that there were very few rubs. Does anyone know why there would be sooo many scrapes and very few rubs. Do scrapes usually come before the rubs or what? The bucks are already starting to lightly chase the does (only for a few minutes and then quit), so I would imagine that there would be some rubs around too. Any knowledge on this would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question for Scrape experts

While some people get really excited over rubs, to me they aremostly an indicator of definite buck activity in an area. Rub lines tell me patterns of buck travel, and to some extent, the general size of bucks making the rubs.
I do not hunt rub lines, or single scrapes either, for that matter! What really gets my blood pumping, is finding multiple fresh scrapes in a small area! This tells me I'm in a buck's bedroom, and he will be checking these scrapes regularly. While rubs, and single scrapesmay not be re-visited for several days.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:26 PM

well, we have one area which is a 15-20 acre stand of white oaks/thick junk that has a makeshift road that runs one border and then loops through the center. I walked this road which in total is about 400 yards long, and I counted +/- 30 scrapes which ranged from 1-4 feet across which were all free of debris. Then in another area, they were just randomly scattered (but a lot). I hunted the first area all day saturday and only say 2 does, a yearling doe, and a button. On the other hand, my dad hunted the second area and saw 8 bucks (6 of which were 8 points or better) and a ton of does. I was fairly discouraged after this. Would you continue to hunt the first area, or switch to hunting the second place.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both places sound really good, so take your pick, and play the wind!
I may be stubborn, but if the wind was right, I'd stick with my first spot! All those scrapes didn't clear themselves!