Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

feeding deer corn

Old 09-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Spike

Default RE: feeding deer corn

[/quote]

the corn you mix with chicken feed is probally "cracked corn" which isn't good for baiting deer. what you want is whole corn, which you can buy at tractor supply or any feed store. the problem with the cracked corn is it's ground up and harder for the deer to eat (smaller pieces). cracked corn is mainly used for bird food/baiting.
[/quote]
I agree that cracked corn dont work well for just baiting, but if you are feeding them for the nutrients it works great. I feed year round and use 66% cracked corn and 33% bean meal (which is almost a powder), I also have the feed mill put the vitamin and minerals in the feed. I use 2 home made gravity feeders that holds 4 tons each and the deer eat it very well and look very healthy.
below is a picture of 1 feeder

Old 09-26-2007, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now that's a feeder! LOL
Old 09-26-2007, 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

We only have ourselfs to blame for the baiting regulation of 2 gallons per 40 acres per hunter. We abused and now were paying for it with CWD. So the DNR says. 2 gallons can actually last a few days if placed correctly. Dont place it in one pile. Scatter it around a bit so the deer have to find it. Im going to put out some buckola this week and mix it in with some feed.
ORIGINAL: huntboy3181

baiting deer with corn works wonders especially in the last season and there is snow on the ground..unfortunately in wisconsin youcan only put out 2 gallons of bait per day.. stupid damn law..
There are more deer feeders in Texas than in any other state... more high fences, and more opportunites for deer to "concentrate and spread disease" and yet we don't have a single documented case of CWD.

That blows that argument completely out of the water.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Typical Buck

Where are you at in Indiana deerhunter
Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Typical Buck

I usually mix whole shelled corn with sweet feed from Tractor supply. I buy the corn from a local farmer at $30 for a 55-gal drum full. 1 bag of sweet feed for every 20 gallons of corn. Sweet feed has a lot more nutrients than just throwing corn alone.