Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

feeding deer corn

Old 09-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default feeding deer corn

I have thrown corn out to the deer mainly just to attact them. Has anyone ever thought that the deer wont get much nutrients from this corn since its hard it will just pass right on though. I have cows they are ruminant as well it happens to them.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: feeding deer corn

Around here you can't Bait deer.But I feed Corn durring the Off Season,Deer will digest Corn very well unlike Cows.

big rockpile
Old 09-23-2007, 09:30 PM

so where do you guys buy your corn at? the feed stores, would it be like the corn i used to mix with chicken feed?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dippinfirefighter05

so where do you guys buy your corn at? the feed stores, would it be like the corn i used to mix with chicken feed?
the corn you mix with chicken feed is probally "cracked corn" which isn't good for baiting deer. what you want is whole corn, which you can buy at tractor supply or any feed store. the problem with the cracked corn is it's ground up and harder for the deer to eat (smaller pieces). cracked corn is mainly used for bird food/baiting.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

You are correct. There are not much for nutrients in corn untill it is cracked and dried. What i like to do with my corn when I use it, is run it through my mixer mill once. Just like when making feed and then bag it. I run at a lower RPM there for not to turn it into powder like feed. Seems to work pretty good but is work. Another thing I do is shell it. I have a corn sheller with a motor on it shell it into a metal garbage can and fill that half full, take a 4x4 and smash the hell out of the corn the best i can to crack as much as I can.. But mostly I use a good mix of deer food and corn.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dippinfirefighter05

From local farmers straight out of the silo. Usually buy 10-12 55 gallon drums worth.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

baiting deer with corn works wonders especially in the last season and there is snow on the ground..unfortunately in wisconsin youcan only put out 2 gallons of bait per day.. stupid damn law..
Old 09-25-2007, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

We only have ourselfs to blame for the baiting regulation of 2 gallons per 40 acres per hunter. We abused and now were paying for it with CWD. So the DNR says. 2 gallons can actually last a few days if placed correctly. Dont place it in one pile. Scatter it around a bit so the deer have to find it. Im going to put out some buckola this week and mix it in with some feed.
ORIGINAL: huntboy3181

baiting deer with corn works wonders especially in the last season and there is snow on the ground..unfortunately in wisconsin youcan only put out 2 gallons of bait per day.. stupid damn law..
Old 09-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

we feed deer all year round in ohio. it is legal to bait also. we just feed them corn screening out of the combine. usually don't feed until it gets cold and not a lot of food around for them. we dump a gator bed full in several places all winter long about once a week to give them food thru the winter.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

in Va, we can't bait or feed from sept. 1 to jan, 31. but where I am hunting some, they had a corn field, they just cut it down, there is corn everywhere on the ground

Quick Reply: feeding deer corn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.