Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Feeding deer corn? >

Feeding deer corn?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Feeding deer corn?

Old 01-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Feeding deer corn?

I have about 500 lbs of corn I was planning on feeding to the local deer heard this winter. I planned to put like 50 lbs out a week. I was thinking that would draw in the deer to a particular spot and help me to find sheds and also help the deer make it through the cold Minnesota winter. I read that topic about suplementing food and some of you thought it was a bad idea. Do you think it wouldbe a good idea to feed corn in the winter.... I dont want to cause the deer to rely on my corn. What do you think?

Thanks,

Die Hard <-------<<<
Old 01-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Feeding deer corn?

It won't hurt anything.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you start follow it all the way through until grasses and new buds become available,I don't recall all of the particulars but I believe it will change their digestive enzymes.I am not sure how much nutritional value it will provide.
Before it was illegal a lot of people in the area I live would feed deer through the winter.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

go for it i would get a feeder if you can plus put out a salt or mineral lick
Old 01-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was watching, deer and deer hunting on tv and that said it really did no goo, even hurt them, but idk i cant remember the reasoning.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

how would it hurt them ?
ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

go for it i would get a feeder if you can plus put out a salt or mineral lick
Old 01-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

something along the lines if they get to the point where they depend on it an then u stop feedin it messes them up
Old 01-01-2008, 05:09 PM

make sure you check out the local regulations on feeding deer first .,im thinking "and icouldbe wrong' that we cant feed the deer. if you can, and it is legal , make sure you have enough for the whole winter,. once you run out or stop ,then they will depend on it and if the herd get to large, then you will have a problem if the winter get tough.,
Old 01-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

I'm sorry fellas, but I just don't follow the "they will get depended on it" deal. A deer's diet is so vast that they rarely get dependent on any one food. They are the goats of the woods, they will eat anything.

I live in a state where you can put out corn all year long. The deer do not become dependent on it. Actually, its the other way around. From my experiences the deer will walk right through the corn to get to greens.

As for their digestive system. I have seen where it gives deer the "runs".

Corn has hardly any protien, but it does have carbs.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tsoc

If you start follow it all the way through until grasses and new buds become available,I don't recall all of the particulars but I believe it will change their digestive enzymes.I am not sure how much nutritional value it will provide.
Before it was illegal a lot of people in the area I live would feed deer through the winter.
tsoc is right, if you live inone of the northern states dont do it unless your commited to doing it till spring. Im not sure,50lb a week may not make a differnce, But I have seen them where they have been cut off the corn in the middle of winter, first you will see them with crap running down their hind quarters, then you will see them dead in a few days.

Quick Reply: Feeding deer corn?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.