Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

feeding deer corn in the winter

Old 12-09-2004, 04:36 AM

Default feeding deer corn in the winter

i heard that feeding deer corn in the winter can kill them, i can't remember why, but do you know if there is any truth to this ???
Old 12-09-2004, 04:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: feeding deer corn in the winter

Corn lacks the protein that clover or other forage provides , it's mostly starch .
Old 12-09-2004, 05:27 AM

I believe the problem is the way their digestive system works. They need time to adjust to a 'new' food source to properly breakdown and digest the food. I have also heard eating to much of this 'new' source can inhibit their ability to properly digest food from their 'old natural' food sources. So they could literally starve to death with a full belly of corn. If they are not currently still eating leftover corn from somewhere, you might be able to gradually re-introduce it (little at a time) and get away with it.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

The trick to feeding corn in the winter is to use it as a supplement and not as a main food source. I generally have 10-20 deer at my feeder each night here in Mn. I have my spreader set to throw out 8 lbs total per day done in 2 intervals. This is well short of supplying a full meal for the deer to survive on, but is rather a snack to supplement their winter diet. They still need to forage to survive. Taz
Old 12-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer digestion is entirely dependent on the bacteria the reside in the deer's gut. Different bacteria break down different forage - and when a new food is introduced - it can take up to 2 weeks for the bactiera mix in the gut to change so that the new food source can be properly digested.

The problem with feeding deer in the winter - is when good intended people see STARVING DEER yarded up - and decide to feed them with corn or bales of hay - especially in a woodland environment - the deer completely switch to the new food source - and are week - and die before their digestive mechanism can change. OR - when people STOP feeding supplemental foods to deer when the snows start to melt before greenup - and deer die before they can re-adjust back to a browse diet - Any Food supplements must be weaned off.

For these reasons (and CWD) many states have made winter supplemental feeding deer illegal - NY included. Planting and leaving corn is OK in NY - and the deer gradually switch on AND off the food source.

Feeding corn can be useful in the winter - It is high in Carbs (energy) which is most important - and while lower than clover - still has 8-10% crude protein. We find that standing corn is a great food source in Jan-Mar in the Snow belt in NY state. I can honestly say that leaving corn standing - SAVES 1000s of trees/shrubs on our property every year - and we even have saplings again in our young woods.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:06 AM

Thanks for the info.