Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Biggest deer in Texas (PHOTOS) >

Biggest deer in Texas (PHOTOS)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Biggest deer in Texas (PHOTOS)

Old 09-26-2007, 09:10 PM

Default RE: Biggest deer in Texas (PHOTOS)

ORIGINAL: Schobs

I wasnt gonna chime in on this topic, me and my roomate have been having quite a laugh about it for the last half an hour, but the statement about the game cameras is just an ignorant misunderstanding on your part.

III. Use of electronic communication devices to guide hunters to game, artificial lighting, electronic light intensifying devices (night vision optics), sights with built-in electronic range-finding capabilities, thermal imaging equipment, electronic game calls or cameras/timers/motion tracking devices that transmit images and other information to the hunter;

III) This is my favorite... All of these cameras? Cuddybacks etc etc? If you find a deer on one of these cameras and go kill it? According to B&C this deer is just as tainted as any deer behind a high fence.

DEVICES THAT TRANSMIT IMAGES AND OTHER INFORMATION TO THE HUNTER!!! are you kidding me? I've heard of one game camera that transmits photos to the owner and its like $900 for the setup. all the other cameras merely capture photos and images of deer and w/e else walks in front of them (probably not too big of a problem on your "intensely managed property") and store them for later viewing. As for the hunting with helicopters and airplanes, I know that in some areas up north (canada or alaska) there is a rule that states you can not hunt the same day you fly in to prevent any unfair advantages. I should have just let this topic die out, but the statement about the game cameras was too crazy to pass up. It sounds like you're starting to look for any excuse to help you sleep better at night. By the way, how much would it cost for a "weekend hunter" to harvest, not hunt, harvest, that 240"+ buck? i noticed none of the prices were listed. And as far as the antelope go, can your deer jump/crawl under your fence? maybe you should snip a few holes and see how quickly the deer learn of the escape route and just watch where they go the next time you go chasing after them in your helicopter for one of those data gathering airventures.

Schobs
trans·mit /trænsˈmɪt, trænz-/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[trans-mit, tranz-]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciationverb, -mit·ted, -mit·ting.
–verb (used with object)

to send or forward, as to a recipient or destination; dispatch; convey.

to communicate, as information or news.

to pass or spread (disease, infection, etc.) to another.

to pass on (a genetic characteristic) from parent to offspring: The mother transmitted her red hair to her daughter. [/align][/align][/align]Does it say Transmit in real time? No[/align][/align]I don't need any exuses... or to justify anything to myself. As it reads to the letter... game cameras are NOT allowed.[/align][/align]Basically, you have never seen a book deer on a game cam... because as soon as you have seen him... he isn't a book deer.[/align][/align][/align]As for Antelope Jumping a 3 foot fence... thats very unusual. I've seen deer flatfoot jump my fence too, in and out. It's not that common though.[/align]
Old 09-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

good lord will you guys leave the man alone. ive never hunted on game ranch, but i do hunt 500 acres in minnesota (tillable farm land, lakeshore, wetland, prairie grass all in one , its really nice). my point is, even if i hadmy 500acres fenced off, it wouldnt change a thing, everyone thinks its like some 100'x100' penned in shooting gallery. he has 4200 acres, just a wee bit more area than some of you may think. maybe the fence serves to keep things out as well (like trespassers) no one ever thinks of that, t.so he feeds them protien, BIG DEAL! is that any different than a food plot or amineral block?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

so by your "understanding" of the rules, the world record hunter-taken whitetail, the famous Lovstuen buck taken by 15 year old Tony Lovstuen with a muzzleloader, green scored at 322 4/8" is NOT a valid record, because it clearly states in an article on the North American Whitetail website, and the family of the lucky hunter do not hide the fact that they have trail cam photos, and used these trail cameras to pattern the buck. If you're going to be that critical of the trail camera issue, you can't ignore the fact that he uses helicopters to figure out where the deer are, whether thats his purpose or not. and how would trail camera pictures be any different than pictures taken from a helicopter be? I'll admit i was wrong about antelope jumping fences, i just figured they were smart enough to figure that out, but if you're going to sit there and tell me you've seen deer jump your fence FLATFOOT, i'll not accept that until i see it, unless this fence you speak of is the white picket fence in your backyard. a deer will not jump a high fence, otherwise what would be the point of the fence, to only keep in the deer too weak to jump it? I've attached the link to the article about the Lovstuen buck in case you're skeptical. I'm still waiting on a price for that buck. good luck and good farming!

some clips from the article:

The Iowa non-typical had become known to the hunting world through Ron Willmore and Brian Lindberg's article in the Feb. 2002 issue of North American Whitetail magazine, in which trail camera photos and shed antlers of the then-living buck were shown.

Tony's dad, Doug Lovstuen, grazed the buck's neck during the 2001 gun season, and the next summer, trail camera shots showed that the right antler was stunted.

But by the summer of 2003 the deer's rack was bigger than ever, as confirmed by more trail camera photos.

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/naw_0104promo/

Schobs
Old 09-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

Who cares about the Fence BS? Awesome deer, thanks for sharing the photos, sick of reading about hunters criticizing each other on these forums. If anything that gives as much a badimage of hunters as high fenced hunting does. Got my NY license today and only 17 days till bow season starts and I can be out in the woods away from the bickering on this forum for awhile.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Schobs

so by your "understanding" of the rules, the world record hunter-taken whitetail, the famous Lovstuen buck taken by 15 year old Tony Lovstuen with a muzzleloader, green scored at 322 4/8" is NOT a valid record, because it clearly states in an article on the North American Whitetail website, and the family of the lucky hunter do not hide the fact that they have trail cam photos, and used these trail cameras to pattern the buck. If you're going to be that critical of the trail camera issue, you can't ignore the fact that he uses helicopters to figure out where the deer are, whether thats his purpose or not. and how would trail camera pictures be any different than pictures taken from a helicopter be? I'll admit i was wrong about antelope jumping fences, i just figured they were smart enough to figure that out, but if you're going to sit there and tell me you've seen deer jump your fence FLATFOOT, i'll not accept that until i see it, unless this fence you speak of is the white picket fence in your backyard. a deer will not jump a high fence, otherwise what would be the point of the fence, to only keep in the deer too weak to jump it? I've attached the link to the article about the Lovstuen buck in case you're skeptical. I'm still waiting on a price for that buck. good luck and good farming!

some clips from the article:

The Iowa non-typical had become known to the hunting world through Ron Willmore and Brian Lindberg's article in the Feb. 2002 issue of North American Whitetail magazine, in which trail camera photos and shed antlers of the then-living buck were shown.

Tony's dad, Doug Lovstuen, grazed the buck's neck during the 2001 gun season, and the next summer, trail camera shots showed that the right antler was stunted.

But by the summer of 2003 the deer's rack was bigger than ever, as confirmed by more trail camera photos.

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/naw_0104promo/

Schobs
The pictures were taken on a game survey that I am required to do by the STATE in order to get my MLDP (Managed Land DeerPermits) which are a REWARD for landowners who manage their land in the best interest of wildlife.

Level 3 Managed Lands Deer Permits
Level 3 MLDPs offer maximum harvest flexibility for landowners, but require active habitat and population management and apply only to white-tailed deer.

Level 3 MLDP Benefits:

Completion of the hunting license log and use of a hunting license tag are not required on deer harvested under the authority of this permit; therefore, county and statewide bag limits do not apply to individual hunters.

Allows harvest of antlerless and any buck deer with any lawful means from September 29, 2007 through February 29, 2008.

Once permits have been issued, archery stamp requirements do not apply.

Level 3 MLDP Requirements:

The approved WMP must include deer population data from the current year and the preceding 2 years, complete deer harvest data (including age, weight, and antler data) from the 2 preceding years, and must identify at least 4 recommended habitat management practices that are being conducted or will be conducted on the property.

Once permits have been issued, every deer (buck and antlerless) harvested on the property must be tagged with an appropriate Level 3 MLDP (no MLDP is required for deer taken on the property under the authority of an Antlerless and Spike Deer Control Permit).

The landowner must accomplish at least 4 habitat management practices specified in the WMP within three years of initial permit issuance. The habitat management practices and harvest management must maintain the habitat in an acceptable or improving condition. On-site evaluations will be conducted by TPWD to assess progress.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdforms/media/pwd_1047_w7000_mldp_program_information_white_tail ed_deer.pdf

If you would have read the thread... instead of just going after me... you would have seen that I am hunting that deer.

This is exactly the reason I didn't post the pictures myself in the first place.

If you don't believe me that a deer can jump a HF, then that is your perogative...

Actually... B&C says that deer can't be harvested behind "escape proof" fenceing... which doesn't exist.

Notice how you haven't bought a "water PROOF" watch in about 20 years?

It's because they don't exist either... they are now called "water resistant" because someone got sued.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

How much?
Old 09-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

I've hunted deer in Canada with no fences that had one heck of a lot less chance of getting away from me than any of the deer on my ranch do.
I gotta hear the rationale on this one.

I haveno doubt that it is not like "shooting fish in a barrel". 4200 acres makes that a ridiculous statement BUT......it clearly is NOT the same thing as hunting free range whitetails. I mean even if you had the same amount of land in a place like Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba, or Northern Ontario you might go years before harvesting amature buck even though they are clearly there. A week at your "ranch" and chances are good you're getting a crack at a monster.

Not saying that is wrong if that's what floats your boat. Just not the same level of "hunt" and that is what gets the back up on some.

4 1/2 milesdoes NOT guarnatee that the monster that your trail cam picked up , that you spotted from the road, that left a shed etc will even be in your hunting land come open season. It does however guarnatee it if no more than a couple miles from that spot there is a big ole fence.

Sitting in my treestand with THAT factor in place CHANGES THE GAME SIGNIFICANTLY.

Like I said, not saying it's wrong but it shoulnd't be surprising why some guy from the Midwest, Adirondacks or Canada thinks that it just doesn't FIT when you add that big ole fenceregardless of how big his rack is. (It is reeeeeally big by the way )

Your responses do well to educate us on the "business" of high fence deer in Texas. Quite interesting in fact but it ain't the same game is all.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:12 AM

The hunting I was talking about was driving deer with 2 beaters and a dog through narrows of islands in Lake of the woods and using 00 Buckshot.

No fences... 0 chance of escape.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:34 PM

What i didnt know that many points was even possible ... whoever took that picture you got a pic of a life time!!

Quick Reply: Biggest deer in Texas (PHOTOS)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.