HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Biggest deer in Texas (PHOTOS)
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 07:16 PM
OntElk
Typical Buck

Default RE: Biggest deer in Texas (PHOTOS)

I've hunted deer in Canada with no fences that had one heck of a lot less chance of getting away from me than any of the deer on my ranch do.
I gotta hear the rationale on this one.

I haveno doubt that it is not like "shooting fish in a barrel". 4200 acres makes that a ridiculous statement BUT......it clearly is NOT the same thing as hunting free range whitetails. I mean even if you had the same amount of land in a place like Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba, or Northern Ontario you might go years before harvesting amature buck even though they are clearly there. A week at your "ranch" and chances are good you're getting a crack at a monster.

Not saying that is wrong if that's what floats your boat. Just not the same level of "hunt" and that is what gets the back up on some.

4 1/2 milesdoes NOT guarnatee that the monster that your trail cam picked up , that you spotted from the road, that left a shed etc will even be in your hunting land come open season. It does however guarnatee it if no more than a couple miles from that spot there is a big ole fence.

Sitting in my treestand with THAT factor in place CHANGES THE GAME SIGNIFICANTLY.

Like I said, not saying it's wrong but it shoulnd't be surprising why some guy from the Midwest, Adirondacks or Canada thinks that it just doesn't FIT when you add that big ole fenceregardless of how big his rack is. (It is reeeeeally big by the way )

Your responses do well to educate us on the "business" of high fence deer in Texas. Quite interesting in fact but it ain't the same game is all.