Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer rifles

Old 03-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer rifles

That's cool. I've just seen some pretty outlandish claims on these forums and wanted to see a clarification for how someone could routinely shoot a golf ball at 300 yards. It is way beyond my abilities.

I do think that hitting a softball at 300 yards from some field positions (prone, kneeling with a rest, etc.) with a good rifle is something that could be accomplished. I do think if you had a really good rifle and were an excellent shot and wind conditions were reasonable a baseball would be in trouble too. I would think that hitting a golf ball 1 out of 3 shots at that range would be pretty impressive. Locating it after you hit it might be a chore though!

Old 03-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

I've shot deer with just about every caliber you can imagine but nowadays I find myself packing a Rem 700 Classic in .250 Savage and Nolsler Partitions 100gr with a healthy dose of Win 760.The deer drop just as quick and I get to see the bullet hit RE: no recoil.The mulie pic in my profile lost a terminal game of hide +seek in the poplars last fall.Bullet an inch below the earhole offhand at 50yrds.{dead before he hit the ground]I finished off a buddies whitetail buck at 300 with a lung shotafter it took two hits from a 6.5x55/140gr and wouldn't stay down.Rutted up, thought he was bullet proof.I like to set myself up on game trails so woods ranges are typically 25-100yards and the game never knows where it came from ,it's just over.To me this is more hunting than just shooting....................Harold
Old 03-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

We all have our favorite cal.'s but when it comes down to it it's not the gun it's the gunner. practise, practise, practise.
I still love my 7mm mag.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:51 PM

I love my 25-06 Rem...with Winchester Super X CXP2 120 Grain. I only killed two deer last season,(spent all my time with the 8yr trying to get him one.) I must say I shot a buck in the left shoulder @ 175yds(give or take) and he never took another step. Also I shot a doe(dressed out to 145lbs..huge for AL) in the neck at 100yrs and she never took another step.

In the two years I've used the 25-06 Rem, and 6 deer harvested with it. I've NEVER had to track a deer.

for me I think its the Rapid expansion I get with the winchester Super X...I tried the Federal Premium Vital * Shok 115 Grain Nosler Partition, But didn't get as nice of a grouping @ 100yds & 200yds.