Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Rifles

Old 12-10-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Deer Rifles

I have a question. I am relatively new to deer hunting. Ive done alot of quail, phesant hunting but only been deer hunting for 2 seasons. Last year I got in the season late and dropped a 6pointer at about 80 yards with my Marlin 30-30. This year I dropped one at about 80 yards also. I also dropped one with my friends 7 mag at abour 95yards. It pretty much folded the deer in half and blew out its neck, it was looking away, in through the lungs and somehow up and out?
My question is this. Im wanting more knockdown and distance than my 30-30 has so I have been considering the 30-06 vs the 7mm. I hunt about 250 acres and honestly the longest shot I will make will be 150 yards or so. No more than 200 for sure. So just curious what your preferance is and why. I like the 30-06 for its durability, and AFFORDABILITY. I know the .06 is a bigger heavier round and easily available. Rounds are much cheaper than the 7mm. Also I have found a very nice Remmington 30-06 semi auto for $250. Also prefernce in Semi vs Bolt action?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Rifles

For the shots you are talkinga auto, slide, bolt, single, etc will do the trick!

Any standard rifle from 257 roberts to 35 whelen will do the trick. the 30-06 is a great deer round. I carried one myself this year for the first time.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

If you are going to be seriously hunting deer I would stick to a bolt action. chances are that you'll eventually want to hunt bigger game so stick with what's reliable, and most accurate.

The 7mm vs. the 06 question is one of personal prefrence. Either one will do very well. You are correct that the 06 does come in bigger grain bullets but the 7mm is extremely fast, which is where it gets it's knock down power, and the bullet itself may not be as big around but it will usually be longer and able to carry more kinetic energy than some other "bigger" bullets.

However, It sounds like you should go with the 06 because of it's affordability, durability and the wide range of ammo available.

There will be a ton of replies to your question, there always are when someone asks an opinion on this forum, everything from "you should get an SKS" to "you need a .270", or " a .300 is better...."
Don't listen to the hoopla....go with the 06.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ryan Campbell

If you are going to be seriously hunting deer I would stick to a bolt action. chances are that you'll eventually want to hunt bigger game so stick with what's reliable, and most accurate.

The 7mm vs. the 06 question is one of personal prefrence. Either one will do very well. You are correct that the 06 does come in bigger grain bullets but the 7mm is extremely fast, which is where it gets it's knock down power, and the bullet itself may not be as big around but it will usually be longer and able to carry more kinetic energy than some other "bigger" bullets.

However, It sounds like you should go with the 06 because of it's affordability, durability and the wide range of ammo available.

There will be a ton of replies to your question, there always are when someone asks an opinion on this forum, everything from "you should get an SKS" to "you need a .270", or " a .300 is better...."
Don't listen to the hoopla....go with the 06
Thats why i always vote for use what works and what you like because they all kill deer!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

The .06 is a great all around cartridge...you won't go wrong getting it...Sounds like the 7mm was using a ballistic tip bullet to get that kind of damage...With the .06 stick with a simple 180 grainCore-Lokt or power point bullet and watch the deer drop in their tracks.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the input, I was using ballistic tips in the 7 mag.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:17 PM

do yourself a huge favor and get a 270. very reliable, flat shooting, and versatile. i got a remington bolt action for roughly 300-350 bucks, very simple, but a great gun. go to wal mart.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:32 AM

well,if youre not on a budget. you can get aa lever in 30-06 since your used to the lever action. only if your willoing to spend like 1k.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

.270 or 30-06 range are great calibers. Lots of different types of ammunition available for both everywhere at reasonable prices. IMHO tho, pick a bonded bullet and drop the balistic tips.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

I used to carry a 30-30 for a lot of years and it did what I was looking for here in Nebraska. I eventually upgraded to an 06 and haven't been let down yet. The deer that I have taken haven't gone but a few yards before they pile up. The do minimal damage with proper shot placement and are very reasonably priced.

Quick Reply: Deer Rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.