Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.45 colt rifles for deer?

Old 04-30-2003, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default .45 colt rifles for deer?

It rarely comes up that someone would recommend the .45colt in a handgun for deer, which isn' t really surprising when the .44mag is such a great choice, however, I' m curious as to using a .45colt rifle, a replica mind you, for whitetailed deer, big ones at that (Two does taken by me this year were 177# and 181# dressed weight, estimating 220-240 on the hoof each). I' m considering taking an Uberti Henry replica out, so the load couldn' t be too hot, to stay in line with the toggle link action. Anyone care to comment?
Old 05-03-2003, 09:35 AM

Default RE: .45 colt rifles for deer?

i was reading some article over on www.leverguns.com and i came accros this.
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...ltlevergun.htm paco kelly seems to be a straight shooter with little BS so id give it a look
Old 05-04-2003, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .45 colt rifles for deer?

Well, with modern firearms chambered for the 45 Colt, such as the Winchester and Marlins, you could load them up with +P loads, and have an outstanding deer rifle. These loads will almost equal standard 45-70 factory loads in both energy and terminal performance.

However, since you have a replica, you' ll need to use the standard factory ammo. I read a great article on this exact topic in Rifle Magazine about a year ago, and their opinion was that....YES, within 100 yds, as long as you do your job and hit the vitals, it will work for deer. I seem to remember that the Remington 250 gr. SP had a muzzle energy of 590 lbs. from a rifle, and about 425 lbs at 100 yds. Although these are small numbers, you must realize that this is a 250 gr, 45 cal hole that will penetrate deeply into a deer' s chest. It should be very effective.

Another way of looking at it is: At at 100 yds, your 45 colt will have much more energy than a 250 gr. 45 ACP will at muzzle. And there' s no deer alive that will live if you hold your 45 ACP directly to his side and pull the trigger.