Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Get your Deer Dogs and Get Out >

Get your Deer Dogs and Get Out

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Get your Deer Dogs and Get Out

Old 12-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Get your Deer Dogs and Get Out

I didn't notice any on the last page so all is good. However, I don't wish to see anyone being abusive such as calling each other ANTI or any other flame war attempts, thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 05:02 PM

Lots of stuff i can quote from but, to sum it up some of you dog hunters are nothing more than outlaws.
some dog hunters are ethical in your practices.
There is no way to upland bird hunt QUAIL without a dog there are ways to hunt everything else without dogs.
I have never been opposed to any one doing what they want on their own land.
But when i pay for the land i do not want anyone else using it that does not help me pay for it.
My track is over 25000 acres and deer are here reguardless of weather i feed them or not but, i do so and plant alot of habitat so that my members and clients get the hunt they pay for.
This problem with the dogs happens all the time not just on deer hunts.

How would you feel spending your hard earned money on a trophy hunt that a dog comes in and runs your trophy away?

How would you feel about a bird hunt were deer dogs come and go with the other bird dogs and take the quail out at every covey?
THE ANSWER IS YOU WOULD BE PISSED.

So as a fellow sportsman operating a business of hunting when something like that happens what option do i have.
1. Give a Refund
2. Make it right with another Hunt
3. Try to explain it is out of my control
What do i do all of the above customers are more important to me than anything else so natuarly i take care of my clients.

I have caught deer dogs and given them back told the folks how i felt and explained things to them in a nice way some after a few times not so nice

In conclusion what it am out about; is the way to handle things properly without resorting to a wild west type conferantation or just getting rid of my problem. Most of these guys hunting dogs do not understand about paying for a hunt and what it means to someone else.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Daleh operates a pay-to-play hunting business, and so doesn't like deer doggin'

I have to say - the most fun I've ever had hunting, was while running dogs. It's great fun, and a grand social event. The dogs simply get the deer moving, and are particularly good in really thick stuff. It is getting harder to do, what with more land subdivided and cut up into developements, ranchettes, and planted-bird farms... but it is still fun. Of course it is not as pure and virutuous as paying $300 - or $1500? - to shoot a deer from an enclosed stand at a buck eating corn that is dispensed from a feeder every day at 4:40pm - but hey, diff'rent strokes, right?

I've not hunted with dogs in a few years, mostly hunt from my climber or occassionaly walk slow through the thick stuff. But the pic below is of a couple bucks taken while running dogs. Great fun.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:55 PM

Here's my two cents about this:
If you want to hunt with dogs that's fine, whether it's on private land or whatever. However I don't want any where I'm hunting. As long as you have control on where the dogs are going and they're not disrupting any other hunters.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: HunterKel

As long as you have control on where the dogs are going and they're not disrupting any other hunters.
Sounds fair enough to me!
Old 12-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have learned (the hard way) about dog hunters and the tradition behind it. Like the poster from VA NEW61375 talked about in his various threads.... DO NOT go up against dog hunters and try to bad mouth them or write a congressman.

I too am from Virginia (Richmond) and have had my share of run-ins with deer hounds (and hunters too).I just don't understand all the hub-bub about hunting with dogs. Hunting with dogs (rabbits, pheasant, ducks/geese) is cool. But after deer? I don't get it.... [&o]

Now, now, now, before you guys send me even MORE hate mail, let me explain... IF YOU WANT TO HUNT DEER WITH DOGS.... FINE. HAVE A GREAT TIME... I WON'T STOP YOU. IT JUST AIN'T MY THING, OKAY?

I'll just hunt west of the Blue Ridge Mts in Virginia (no deer hunting w/dogs allowed). Like I said, before, I learned the hard way about deer hunting with dogs. {See, I, uh, um, made a few strong worded posts on a few forums about dog hunting and verbally got my a$$ handed to me on a platter! } Some of these 'ol boys don't mess around and don't take kindly to some "come here" spouting off against a tradition in Virginia. Sooooooooo, I learned to go hunt where they are not, and it'scool. They enjoy hearing dogs bellow and push deer to them. I just prefer the peace and quiet of the outdoors where it's just me and the deer going one-on-one.

Butch A.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ButchA

I have learned (the hard way) about dog hunters and the tradition behind it. Like the poster from VA NEW61375 talked about in his various threads.... DO NOT go up against dog hunters and try to bad mouth them or write a congressman.

I too am from Virginia (Richmond) and have had my share of run-ins with deer hounds (and hunters too).I just don't understand all the hub-bub about hunting with dogs. Hunting with dogs (rabbits, pheasant, ducks/geese) is cool. But after deer? I don't get it.... [&o]

Now, now, now, before you guys send me even MORE hate mail, let me explain... IF YOU WANT TO HUNT DEER WITH DOGS.... FINE. HAVE A GREAT TIME... I WON'T STOP YOU. IT JUST AIN'T MY THING, OKAY?

I'll just hunt west of the Blue Ridge Mts in Virginia (no deer hunting w/dogs allowed). Like I said, before, I learned the hard way about deer hunting with dogs. {See, I, uh, um, made a few strong worded posts on a few forums about dog hunting and verbally got my a$$ handed to me on a platter! } Some of these 'ol boys don't mess around and don't take kindly to some "come here" spouting off against a tradition in Virginia. Sooooooooo, I learned to go hunt where they are not, and it'scool. They enjoy hearing dogs bellow and push deer to them. I just prefer the peace and quiet of the outdoors where it's just me and the deer going one-on-one.

Butch A.
There is a lot of real nice land West of the Blue Ridge, good luck with that. I always get pigeon holed as a "dog hunter" because I often defend dog hunting on various threads. I am a hunter. I still hunt, bow hunt, blackpowder, rifle hunt, dog hunt, man drive, whatever. I spent many hours and days setting on stands this season(one on one with the deer and peace and quiet and all that)but sometimes I enjoy dog hunting as a change of pace. I hunt with a good group of guys who are safe, responsible, and fun. We have a good time and we are pretty successful too. Many threads commenting on dogs and dog hunting don't take into consideration that there are groups of us out therethat are not tobacco spitting, beer drinking, littering, land disrespecting, slobs. So that is why I post to say that we are here andplease don't lump the goodones in with the bad. Styles and types of hunting are just that, styles and types. It is the individual hunter or group of huters(in some cases) that make something unethical or lazy or whatever other negative term youwant. As far as the hub-bub behind dog hunting, there is none it is just another kind of hunting, the dogs are just another tool the hunteruses. It is not a new concept it has been around probably since man domesticated dogs(however long ago that was).
Old 12-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

We don't have dog hunting here, and I am glad they don't. If I lived in a state where they do, I would be very upset if I was hunting and dogs were running deer on my property. It is very inconsiderate and unfair to let dogs get on other people's property.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:41 PM

I hunted in VA for about 5 yrs. The only problems guys I knew had with dogs was when they would release the dogs on private land they didn't own to flush the deer out to land they could hunt. Then they would give the old "dogs can't read" crap when you told them to keep their dogs on their own land. Eventually they started to have trouble finding a couple of their dogs after every hunt.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: isatarak

We don't have dog hunting here, and I am glad they don't. If I lived in a state where they do, I would be very upset if I was hunting and dogs were running deer on my property. It is very inconsiderate and unfair to let dogs get on other people's property.

Great input. Have you ever dog hunted? Have hunting dogs(or any dogs for that matter)ruined your hunt?

Quick Reply: Get your Deer Dogs and Get Out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.