Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Get your Deer Dogs and Get Out >

Get your Deer Dogs and Get Out

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Get your Deer Dogs and Get Out

Old 12-26-2006, 10:07 PM

Default Get your Deer Dogs and Get Out

I am tired of the people with deer dogs hunting 5 acres and saying dogs don't read No Trespassing Signs.
Idiot don't turn you dog lose to run if it does not have enough room to run.
I think if your dog ruins my hunt you should be responsible for paying meand my hunters what we pay for the hunt.
400 lbs of corn a week
300 per stand
15 per acre lease
tractor
fertilizer/ lime
food plot mix
time at whatever most professionals make
plus
don't forget the dammage your 4x4 makes down my wet roads (you rent a dozer fo a month)
pick up you beer cans and dip cans up so maybe nobody would know you been there.
Deer Hunting with dogs is alazy no count way to hunt
About as much sport and the same mentality as rapping someone and their land.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:07 AM

Default RE: Get your Deer Dogs and Get Out

You should not let a few unethical hunterswith there dogs ruin your insite of a good hunting dog, dont blame the dog blame the guy using it
it would be like blaming the car not the driver for a crash or a gun not theshooter for a crime. I am a lover of using dogs for deer but where i hunt we have thousands of acres to run them. i do agree with you that they should not be in there, when sighns are posted you find someplace else to go or you go home that simple!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm also opposed to deer hunting with dogs. I guess a lot depends on where dog hunts are taking place as to whether it's an ethical practice or not.
Dog hunting is not as popular here in Ms as it used to be, as most hunters that respect other folks lands and posted signs have long since given up dog hunting in favor of still hunting.
Another thing that makes the "dogs can't read posted signs" statement offencive to me is that most hunters are now using breeds of dogs such as the Running Walkers" that are known for running deer unlimited distances. Seems to me that if the dog hunter even intended to have range control of his hounds he would opt for other breeds. Face it, deer dog hunting in the best case scenerio is done with the intent of busting deer off private land and push them to where it is legal to shoot.
By experiance I have found deer dog hunters to be the most unethical of all the hunters, and an imposition to other hunters and non hunters alike.
I regularly write my congressman expressing my opinion of deer dog hunting, seeking to see it banned from my state. I encourage folks to do the same.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: daleh

I am tired of the people with deer dogs hunting 5 acres and saying dogs don't read No Trespassing Signs.
I think if your dog ruins my hunt you should be responsible for paying meand my hunters what we pay for the hunt.
400 lbs of corn a week
300 per stand
15 per acre lease
tractor
fertilizer/ lime
food plot mix
plus
don't forget the dammage your 4x4 makes down my wet roads (you rent a dozer fo a month)
pick up you beer cans and dip cans up so maybe nobody would know you been there.
Can not the same be said about baiting?
Old 12-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

400 lbs of corn a week
300 per stand
15 per acre lease
tractor
fertilizer/ lime
food plot mix
plus
Nope. Supplemental feeding doesn't involve trespassing on someone else'sproperty.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

400 lbs of corn a week
300 per stand
15 per acre lease
tractor
fertilizer/ lime
food plot mix
plus
Nope. Supplemental feeding doesn't involve trespassing on someone else'sproperty.
400lbs of corn sounds like baiting not supplemental feeding to me. So couldn't baiting be a lazy no count way to hunt?
Old 12-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

400lbs of corn sounds like baiting not supplemental feeding to me. So couldn't baiting be a lazy no count way to hunt?
He said 400 lbs per week. I assumed he's talking about a year round feeding program. I can't tell from his post what size of property he's hunting, and don't know whether that's just his share and there are other tenants on the property that feed as well. And, I would say it's not one iotamore lazy than setting up a stand on the edge of a 20 acre food plot or a cut corn field.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Spike

Using dogs is a lazy way to hunt deer, I say the same thing for hogs. However if a ton of hogs are tearing up farming land then they need to be dealt with however.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Spike

Having hunted both ways, I see both sides of the argument.

From the time I started hunting (10 years old) until I was about 22 or so, all we did was dog hunt. At about that time, I started still hunting and stand hunting and have dog hunted less but I still do it.

The argumenst for still hunting are many but it is unfair to call the dog hunter lazy and senseless. Typically, these who make such accusations have never dog hunted or have hunted with less than sporting hunters.

1. A stand hunter will call a dog hunter lazy because he uses dogs to chase deer and it is not fair chase. A dog hunter will reply that he has to shoot a deer running very hard rather than a deer standing in a cornpile 30 yards away.

MY Opinion
It is very hard to kill a deer running wide open through the woods as I have used many, many boxes of shells in the process. In 10-12 years of hunting with dogs, I have only killed about three or four deer. I have never missed a deer from a tree stand.

2. Dog hunter are unethical and they trash up the woods and disrespect other hunters is what a still hunter would say. A dog hunter would reply that he shoots bucks just like you do and most take care of the area they hunt.

MY Opinion
I have dog hunted with groups that would kill anything be it doe or buck and I have hunted with groups that would only kill bucks with visible racks and would not even load their gun until someone identified the deer as a buck in the first crossing. But one thing universal is that every dog hunter I have hunted with willdress and eat the deer regardless of sexand if they do not want it, someone else willtake it and use it.
On the other hand, I have seen still hunters jump fencesonto other property (apparently dogs are not the only ones who cannot read NO TRESPASSING). Ipersonally witnessed afew weeks ago a hunter at an outfitter in the midwest kill a 150 class buck and told the outfitter to throw away the deer after he caped it. Also, I have removed countless stands from my dad's property in Kansas as well as trash, cigarette butts, drink cans, and carcasses left in the roads.

3. Often the type of dog is a complaint by stand hunters because the big ones run the deer out of the country. However, a dog hunter will say that hewants to push the deer to a crossing quicker and that leaves the deer little time to "get away".

MY Opinion
Years ago, when we had lots of space, we used Walker hounds to push them and either kill the deer or catch the dogs so we could go on to another race. As time progressed and more and more land was leased, we switched to 12" beagles so that the deer would not run as hardand we could stay ahead of them.

All in all, I like both types of hunting. I like to hear the hounds work out a trail and I like the thrill of the dogsjumping and heading toward you at full throttle somuch that you are watching every move for the deer to appear. Also, I like to enjoy the peace and quiet of sitting in a stand watching a food plot or soybean field waiting for the deer to appear.

As far as sporting goes, I consider them both about the same. Many on here think they are crack shots and that they do not miss. I will contend that 95% of all hunters would not hit a deer running full throttle. Further, approximately 50% of all deer jumped by dogs get away without even being seen and as little as 5%-10% are actually shot at. I'll bet most still hunters fill their tag with either buck or doe this season as a deer standing in a corn pile under a feeder 40 yards away is not sporting to a dog hunter. As a matter of fact, I found it too easy to kill from a treestand and took up bow hunting for a challenge.

As far as the original poster complaining about the money spent... you have a long way to go to compete with a dog hunter.

Cost of good trail dog $500 minimum and most go for over $1000 if
they are good

Cost to feed and care for dog all year $250 a year for vet and
$300 or so in food
* Now multiply that by five or six dogs

Vehicle expenses $? but at least a tank of fuel a day so let's say
20 days a season by $50 a day for giggles

Land lease The same you pay

Tracking collars $1,000 a set to keep up with the dogs

Time spent Dogs do not feed and water themselves. Nor
do they train themselves or take themselves to
the vet.

Time spent hunting Dog hunters get there way before daylight and
stay until dark. Stand hunters usually (many
stay all day) go until 10am and come out until a few hours before dark.

One funny thing is that I find it ironic that amny complain about dog huntingdeer but would jump at the chance to hunt mountain lion in Montana with hounds. Or you would jump at the chance to hunt with a Champion coon hound or even love to sit on the back of the truck and listent o the hounds chase a fox for three hours. It is a double standard brought on by a few bad apples but the same could be said for still hunters. If everyone remembered the Golden Rule I guess there would be no problems either way.

Like I said, I do not dog hunt much anymore here in Florida but I still go occasionally. I see both sides of the argument and depending on how you were brought into hunting is probably what has shaped your opinion. I would contend that any dog hunting hater would be sold on the sport if he went with the right people.

I am sorry to drag on so long but feel free to discuss this further.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have to disagree. I hunt both ways for deer i still hunt and stalk and also run the hounds. These dogs were breed to chase these animals therefor we should not stop them. I hunt on all private land and always try to keep the dog on our property but somtimes they slip through to another property but that is life and it is not the dogs fault or the humans.

Quick Reply: Get your Deer Dogs and Get Out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.