Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you hit a running deer? >

How do you hit a running deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you hit a running deer?

Old 12-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you hit a running deer?

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

I'm not sure what you mean. We can use up to #4 buckshot for deer. Most people I know shoot 00 or #1. I like copper coated #1 in a 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch. I believe there is something like 24 pellets in that shell and copper coated seem to group much better for me at 40-50 yds(that is about my max range withmy shotgun). I have been very impressed with the stopping power of this set-up.
That's what the law is in WV too. I got the impression that you were talking about using something smaller........[]

I do not mean to sound like I am hollier than thou. I am not. Shooting at a running deer is just something I would not do. If you are comfortable and responsible with it Ok.

I just see too many opportunities for a bad ending.
And you are right. I see bad endings every season but I usually find it has a lot moreto do with the hunter than the shot. I know guys that if you asked them how their shotgun patterned they would say "Mossy Oak".
Old 12-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know guys that if you asked them how their shotgun patterned they wood say "Mossy Oak".
[&o][&o] That's sad and funny at the same time!

Good luck and happy hunting!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

I know guys that if you asked them how their shotgun patterned they wood say "Mossy Oak".
[&o][&o] That's sad and funny at the same time!

Good luck and happy hunting!
Good luck to you as well.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

"Shake & Bake"!!
"I want to say something that may be pertinent.....I GOT A CHUB BECAUSE THIS IS THE COOLEST THING I'VE EVER DONE!!"

Shooting moving targets is not that big of a deal if you practice. Heck, am I the only one here that quail hunts, or duck, or pheasant etc. So shooting a deer is very similar.

If you're in the timber its a good idea to pick a open space in the timber in front of the deer. Hold in that spot and when the nose of the deer passes the vertical crosshair, touch it off. I've used this method on several occassions. I don't like to follow the deer in the timber because when you notice a clear lane its too late. Now, in open terrain the best method is to follow the deer with the scope, pull to the front of the brisket and squeeze remember to continue your swing with the rifle. Both methods produce dead deer.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:12 PM

I see a lot of posts talking about non leathal hits made on running deer. Doesn't the gun you use come into play? If you gut shoot a deer with a 30-30 it will run forever, you hit one with a 7 mag it may go down. Also if you hit a deer in the *ss and break both legs or hit the spine it's going down. You can get away with shots like this if you are using the right gun.I'm not saying aim there on purpose but if you are using the right set up the deer will die. If you want to see guys that swear by shooting running deer check out the benoit brothers. They have some excellent books and videos.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I shot a deer running broadside with a 30-30 ..He fell down immediately. The deer was only about 30 yds away. At that range the bullet hit right where I aimed.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you've already fired a shot at the deer standing and you're following up with another to put it down for good, I'd not shoot at a running deer. I've done the former at a big buck that was double lung shot but still took off at full run broundside at 50 yards. The second with a scope aiming at the level of the bend in the front leg went through the heart and dropped him right there for good.

But as a first shot, I'd rather wait for the deer to stop and turn for standing broadside or slight quartering away than take achance at a runningshot that could just as well wound, you track the animalfor miles and lose.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:33 AM

Earlier in the season my buddy and I were walking back to the truck and two does came out of the woods 50 yards in front of us. My friend shot one of them and the other took off and I shot it on the run and droped it right there. That was with a shotgun that has a scope on it.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

dont listen to abarofsoap my dad can shoot deer better runnig full speed than standing ive seen well kinda seen him shoot a coyote full speed and it just looked like a blur to me
Old 12-30-2006, 03:37 PM

I have shot many deer on the flat out run most of the time ahead of dogs or jumping them in the swamp.Thats how we here rifle hunt.
I have never lead any of them no need too. if your leading to me its to far of a shot and (BUT THATS JUST ME)
there is a trick to use no matter if you are using scope or iron sight, it was tought to me my a fellow who has passed on now at the young age of 90, he always said when you see the deer and as long as the cover allows it you can pretty much tell where that deer is going to go
when you determine this you pick a spot where it is coming through
somtimes it is a little opening or past a clump of trees anyway when you have the spot picked and you may have to change it a couple times before the shot happens but when hair hits your scope or your site pull the trigger and you will be succesful alot mind you this isnt a garantee
as there is a lot more air around them than what they take up
That is how I do it and I have had more success than not!!