Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you hit a running deer? >

How do you hit a running deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you hit a running deer?

Old 12-22-2006, 03:30 PM
Spike

Default How do you hit a running deer?

I know people that can jump a deer and shoot it on the run. I have never been able to do this. If a deer takes off at a medium trot its safe around me because I can't find it in the scope. I've tried practicing this with both eyes open but I tend to lose sight of my crosshairs with both eyes open. So how do people shoot deer on the run? Whats the trick?

Even if you are able to get one in your sights, do you lead it or aim right on? Do you hold the gun at a spot that the deer will pass and pull the trigger when he comes into sight or do you follow him with the scope?
Old 12-22-2006, 03:32 PM

Default RE: How do you hit a running deer?

You need to practice leading, before taking those kind of shots, practice where your bullet will be at such and such distance, ahead of the animal. I would never take a running shot.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

the only way to do it is with iron sights, its near impossible to get a running deer through a scope unelss its running slow... its easier than you think, if he running and doing that trot where it jumps than hits the ground than jumps, wait for it to hit the ground and shot right where you want to, and other than that just get it steady on the deer and pretend like its a big pheasant, no need to lead.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:46 PM

First learn how to hunt treerats and bunnies with your rifle.
A good clay rabbit thrower is a good way to practice.
we used to throw walnuts across the yard for each other.

you will learn that lead is instinctive and follow through is most required.
hone your skills before attempting in the wild
My opinion

Old 12-22-2006, 03:47 PM

That bullet is there at point of aim in less than a half a second from when you squeeze the trigger. Just put your cross hairs on the area you want to hit and (most important part) keep following thru when you squeeze that trigger.Do not stop your motion or you will shoot behind it.Just keep following thru with your shot.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usually with your truck.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

Usually with your truck.
Useing the hood ornament as your sights.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:33 PM

Yes, you have to lead the animal, and you would probably be better off following the animal with your scope instead of aiming at one spot and waiting for the right moment to shoot. And ABarOfSoap is right, shooting at moving targets with ironsights is much easier, but it can still be done easily with a scope if you practice enough. And remember, the farther away the target is, the more you have to lead.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:37 PM

I use a red-dot on my shotgun for push hunting. Moving deer are much easier to find with a red-dot than with a scope. I hit a running coyote last season with it at 50 yards. I was surprised at how easy it was to find him and get a bead on him with the red-dot.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:58 PM

Well you have to lead the deer properly according to wind and distance and how fast its moving as well as the type of deer. I find that whitetails will tend to run in a normal fashion so it easier to lead them but mule deer dont really run they hop along like a rabbit so they are really hard to hit right with a running shot(i know i dont take running shots on mule deer) butwhitetails if they are running and i thinks its a shot i can make i will take it.

Quick Reply: How do you hit a running deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.