Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

running deer

Old 05-16-2003, 04:00 AM

Default running deer

I have a 3D course in my back yard behind my shop.We shoot from the ground and from a 4`x4` platform w/rails for safety from the 16` high roof.Last year my son and I just for fun rig up a delta target buck on a rope & pully system.We tied another long rope around is neck and pully 45% angle away from the target and the shooter.I was amazed at how hard it was to hit.But with just the right lead we were both hitting the 10 ring.I have a muzzy hunting video that shows a hunter shooting a running buck and makes a perfect shot. I would never try that unless it was a monster buck that i could not stop.It would be hard not to.any way It was worth all the trouble when i saw that smile on my sons face.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: running deer

All I can say is that if you are thinking of taking a shot at a running deer, then you are doing the right thing by practicing it! It is surprising at how much a deer can move even at walkiung speed before the arrow gets to it no matter how fast you are shooting. Personally, I will shoot at a slow paced walk, but that is about it. One, time I shot at a deer that was standing still grazing (30 yards), and just as I was at the point of no return on the release, the deer took a step. Luck for me that as the deer stepped it also turned slightly quartering away. It turned my double lung broadside shot into a liver, single lung. I waited 5 hours before tracking and found the buck dead in a bed. But I learned a lot from the shot. And it was a very long five hours to wait. BTW, I was shooting carbons and a muzzy 75 grain head at the time FPS around 290.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:30 AM

I' m with Bob on this one. If you' re gonna shoot at a running deer might as well practice it. I' ve shot one deer at a trot and the only reason was it was a 160 class buck. He was quartering away at only 14 yds so it wasn' t a difficult shot. It' s better to be ready for anything. I think you' re doing your part by practicing.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have a running deer target at my brothers cabin.It runs downhill slightly so all we have to do is pull it back and let it go.Alot of fun an good practice.I shoot recurves so it' s really alot more easier to get on a running target fast.I' m on the archery comittee at my club and got permission to put one in.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:40 PM

Like I said we put it up for fun. I dont think I would try a running shot in fear of wounding it.But if a big one came by and I was not able to stop him I`d try the shot,maybe! I dout if i`ll put it back up this year.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:57 PM

I shot one rigged up like that at a local 3D shoot. It was less than twenty yards away. As luck would have it, I was the first in our group to shoot it. I aimed just in front of the shoulder and nailed him directly in the hip. It ain' t as easy as it looks.

I might would take a very close shot if the deer is at a slow walk. I would not try any kind of moving shot over twenty yards.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:04 PM

A big buck would be the last deer I would attempt a running shot at for fear of wounding.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

It sounds like it would be fun at the range and i would love to do it but i dont think i would do it in the woods because i would be afraid to injure the animal.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use to practice by duct taping a balloon inside of an old car tire and then rolling the tire and shooting the balloon out of the tire.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:54 PM

Shooting at a running deer is for rifles, shotguns or muzzleloaders only. My opinion at least....sorry if I am ruffling any feathers.

Quick Reply: running deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.