Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

7mm mag load

Old 11-23-2002, 11:08 AM

Default 7mm mag load

Currently I reload my own shells. I use 60.2 grains of imr4831 with a speer 160gr boattail. The load is real accurate except I've had a few problems on animals. I shoot my first buck at 250 yards in the neck. This deer went down on impact then after 5 secs got back up and ran 50 yards. I recovered this deer due to a decent blood trail. Next though I shot at a deer 40 yards away. I hit him a little back but should have still caught the liver and prob part of lungs due to the angle. The knock down power made the deer roll backwards 20 yards then it got back up and started running. Once again it was hit(in the guts) the deer was on a dead sprint shooting off hand. Is there a better bullet for what I'm doing. I'll shoot out to 450 yards at deer and elk will be 400 also. I want good devistation. more concerned about deer and elk stopping than conservation of meat. Because I seemed to be doing better with the old .243. All input welcome
Old 11-23-2002, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 7mm mag load

Not to get on the shot placement thing...but none of these shots were clean vitals so all bullets will perform poorly in the guts, liver and the neck well all or nuttin'. I saw a buck get dupped in the neck last week...missed everything vital(just meat) and he just stood their, the second bullet found home in the lungs and he went 75 yards. deer maybe thin skinned but they are very hearty animals.

If you want deer to drop and aren't concerned amount meat loss, aim for the shoulders (front wheels)...with a busted wheel or two they ain't going far and you are almost assured of catching the lungs. I would load up some 160 or 175 gr nosler parts for this aim point...with the 7 mm Mag you'll have enough punch to get home. However I would still reccomend on those long pokes you aim for the H/L region with any bullet style, 7-8" of kill zone on whitetails gives you a decent room of error to put a good clean hit on the deer. Before you make these shots practice, practice, practice with the bullet style of choice for game, this will give you the confidence and allow you to really know your affective range.

I have a 7 rem Mag and this year for deer I ran 154Gr SST - Hornady's for the first time. I shoot my buck through right rib trashing the lungs and tearing off the top of the heart before, exited through the left shoulder (it darn near plucked the shoulder off) the shot was 125 yards angled right to left and he never took a step. We est. the deer was 350 on the hoof, as he tipped the scale dressed at the 300lb mark. I am a chucker of ballistic tips for deer though...you tell me if they are devasting? however they are not intended for elk out of 7 rem mag and results for shoulder/shoulder shoots may not be very desirable due to their rapid expansion. (for deer and H/L they are butes and will shoot the can out of parts or the likes of at any yardage...so very accurate) I match my bullets to the critter and the shot opp. I will have, I am not affraid of switching bullets for the different game...seeing elk and deer here are not combined.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-23-2002, 11:46 AM

Shot placement is always key for me. I shot competitivley throughout the state. I hunt blacktails in washington. I had a good rest on the first buck and knew exact yardage. The neck was the only presented shot. The second deer was an off hand shot in the timber. I still feel I caught the lungs. But shot placement is a must. I was just wondering if anybody had an exceptional bullet for the type of game I hunt
Old 11-23-2002, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

You must be a good shot...since your ranges are 400-500 yards of making a shot. Not to mention someone feeling conifident enough to take a neck shot at 250 must know his rifle and his abilities. But again none of these shots were good vital hits...meaning you missed the spot (even if so slightly) so no bullet will perform for marginal shots like you are hoping for. The bonus is we all miss and you recovered all the animals in short order. Which doesn't always happen, so cudo's

I am little confused on the "I still think I hit lung" on the timber shot deer. Didn't you field dress it? Cause thats when you know what you hit and didn't!!!

If your looking for a good deer bullet I would recommend the Nosler Ballistic tips in 150Gr or the Hornady SST 154 Gr for the 7 mag. If you want one that will do both elk and deer and allow you to take aim on the bone(wheels)..try out the Nosler Parts. in 160 gr or 175Gr. You won't be disappointed...these are all good quality rounds.

Old 11-23-2002, 10:09 PM

I agree with skeeter, I've shot a &mm mag for 23 years in my opinion the 140 or 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip is the best deer round for my rifle.Deer are thin skined & the mag will pin hole through them alot of times.I've had shots of under 50 yards to over 400 & the NBT explodes on deer.For elk & bear I use 160 gr.Nosler Partitions a heavier built bullet for heavier muscled animals.Good luck & great choice on calibers!