HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7mm mag load
Thread: 7mm mag load
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2002, 11:29 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 7mm mag load

Not to get on the shot placement thing...but none of these shots were clean vitals so all bullets will perform poorly in the guts, liver and the neck well all or nuttin'. I saw a buck get dupped in the neck last week...missed everything vital(just meat) and he just stood their, the second bullet found home in the lungs and he went 75 yards. deer maybe thin skinned but they are very hearty animals.

If you want deer to drop and aren't concerned amount meat loss, aim for the shoulders (front wheels)...with a busted wheel or two they ain't going far and you are almost assured of catching the lungs. I would load up some 160 or 175 gr nosler parts for this aim point...with the 7 mm Mag you'll have enough punch to get home. However I would still reccomend on those long pokes you aim for the H/L region with any bullet style, 7-8" of kill zone on whitetails gives you a decent room of error to put a good clean hit on the deer. Before you make these shots practice, practice, practice with the bullet style of choice for game, this will give you the confidence and allow you to really know your affective range.

I have a 7 rem Mag and this year for deer I ran 154Gr SST - Hornady's for the first time. I shoot my buck through right rib trashing the lungs and tearing off the top of the heart before, exited through the left shoulder (it darn near plucked the shoulder off) the shot was 125 yards angled right to left and he never took a step. We est. the deer was 350 on the hoof, as he tipped the scale dressed at the 300lb mark. I am a chucker of ballistic tips for deer though...you tell me if they are devasting? however they are not intended for elk out of 7 rem mag and results for shoulder/shoulder shoots may not be very desirable due to their rapid expansion. (for deer and H/L they are butes and will shoot the can out of parts or the likes of at any yardage...so very accurate) I match my bullets to the critter and the shot opp. I will have, I am not affraid of switching bullets for the different game...seeing elk and deer here are not combined.

Hope this helps.