Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Woodbury, Ga.  First Hunt, need advice >

Woodbury, Ga. First Hunt, need advice

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Woodbury, Ga. First Hunt, need advice

Old 11-19-2002, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Woodbury, Ga. First Hunt, need advice

I have been given an opportunity to hunt 1500 acres in Woodbury Ga this weekend. Does anyone know the area? Generally, is is appx 1 hour NE of Columbus.

I have been told the rut has run way behind this year due to warm temps and they are expecting it might even hit peak this weekend, but who knows.

Anyway, since i have never been to this property, I will obviously hunt where my friend puts me but he has asked me to give him some suggestions on the type of cover/stand location i might desire. He said something about hunting a gas line that is appx 30 yds wide and 200 yds in each direction length-wise. On either side is moderately dense planted pines. To me, this spot doesn't seem that great since the gas line is your only decent shot yet it is so wide open the larger bucks won't walk it during daylight (large 8 pt rule).

Any suggestions on the type of spot I should suggest? I know it's hard not knowing the property, but that is the same issue I face. My friend is also new to the property so he doesn't know it that well either.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Woodbury, Ga. First Hunt, need advice

I know exactly where you are at! I work at Camp Thunder about 5 miles from there. Woodbury is loaded with deer, and unless this spot has had serious hunting pressure I would hunt the gas line. The big bucks will walk out in the daytime if for no other reason than the rut. Try to hunt as long as possible, I've been watching a big 8 point on my land walk a power line around 8:30 in the morning. Hunt on the edge of the thicker stuff because a big buck is likely to walk more on the edges than out in the middle of the gas line.

If this spot is hunted heavily I would try my luck in the pines. The rut is still peaking (the bucks are having thier way with the does that go into estrus early as we speak). I think you'll have a great hunt and good luck.

-Ray

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 11-20-2002, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

Ray,

thanks for your comments. I didn't really expect anyone to be familiar with this area. Its interesting you are nearby. My friend has been telling me the rut has been substantially delayed but I thought he was BS me.

I am surprised you recommended the gas line though. Of course, you qualified it by saying if it hasn't been hunted hard. Since the property is an active lease, pressure has not been huge but the deer have been pressured. I would not expect any of the larger bucks to be standing anywhere near the open gas line. I am hoping to find a spot with a bit more cover but don't know the property well enough to direct a spot.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

since it is an active lease, you want someplace that is thick enough that not many other people have pressured it and the deer feel safe there, but somewhere open enough for a good shot. I'm sure your friend has somewhere in mind. Once again, good luck.

-Ray

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 11-23-2002, 07:52 PM
Spike

Power and gas lines are always favorites during the rut. Bucks will blast right across if they get the right fragrance in the air. The best part is that they will often hesitate just before they reenter the thick stuff. I used to have a lease right between Woodbury and Warm Springs. It's a great place for big bucks. Good luck! Ray, do they allow any hunting at Thunder especially for turkey? I'm always thinking about how great it would be to hunt some of the area when I'm down there with Troop 181 in PTC. For any of you involved in Boy Scouts, Camp Thunder is an outstanding facility.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you Skyhawk, we try hard to make our camp the best in the southeast.

Well, being the archery merit badge instructor for the past 4 years, I have asked at least 1,000 times to hunt on camp thunder. The answere is always no. I see sick and starving deer every summer but no one can do anything about it.

I did get a deer there last winter but only because the ranger hit it with his truck first and it was still up and staggering. Usualy someone hits a deer every summer and us rangemasters get to process it, and then we have a staff BBQ.You wouldn't find any turkeys on camp come spring anyway, they only winter here. I'm sure there is one or two every now and then but the droves move south for the spring.

All the land bordering thunder is open for hunting. There is one lease that's owned by some doctor, and some private land. I haven't been able to get in contact with them but I'm sure if you have the $$$ you can hunt there. Also close to thunder is Sprewell Bluff WMA, and a little farther south is Big Lazer WMA, both have great turkey hunting but I think it's all quota hunts. Big Lazer has some ok hog hunting but you can only hunt them during deer bow season unless your on a quota.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

-Ray

"Hey ya'll, watch this"