Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your thoughts????

Old 12-05-2006, 05:24 PM

Default RE: Your thoughts????

Of all the years of listening to hunting buddies and husband, for 20+ years, I have heard it all. First part of bow season, most deer aren't timid, there's no pressure. After all the hunters have been out a while, they pay more attention. Then, there are the deer that are used to their area and know the threats there. If we are out on the tractors, they could care less and go right on ahead about thier business. If I am out on my horse, no big deal either. But when the hunting starts, and you are in thier space, they know you are there. It's just what they are used to. An area hunted hard takes more effort. We are in an area that is being developed hard. Hunting has become very difficult for us.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I feel that all the new camo's, scents and other gadgets are over-hyped by sellers and TV people! No camo or scent can substitute for good hunting skills! Deer can be curious, but it's not something to count on! This season I tried to get rid of a doe by spooking her without it being obvious that it was a human, I threw things out of the stand and she just got more curious! I talked to a guy that had the same thing happen to him this weekend!
We've also noticed that around farm areas the deer will sometimes just watch you go about your business, but try to make a slick move or click a rifle safety off, they are gone in a flash! Go figure!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

They are pretty strange animals some time. This is my 10th year hunting deer and even though this second season here in Illinois was terrible, with seeing ZERO deer out of my stands being in range, I still saw something I have never seen before.
Well, here in Illinois, and alot of the midwest I am sure, there was a decent amount of snow on the ground and it has been so cold that most of it is mostly ice. So you can imagine how incredibly LOUD it is walking anywhere out in a field, pasture, or tree line. Well I was walking out, after another disappointing day in the stand and I am rounding the corner on this trail to an area that is lined with trees. Well, right around the corner the trees get away from the path about 50 yards, from about the normal 5 yards off the path. ANYWAYS.....right as I get passed the corner I look over to the right and see a brown spot on the ground like 15 feet from me, right in the open. I am like, "What the heck is that?" I couldn't believe it would be a deer since I was just trampling through the very loud snow and haven't seen any deer all day.
So I am staring at this spot and then I see an ear move. Definately a deer! It was a doe, and at this point in the season I was still going for something with antlers, since the season was coming to a close. Just in case, I pulled up my gun and put the grunt tube in my mouth. I stared through the scope and gave a soft grunt. The deer just slowly turned around and stared at me for like 5 seconds, then she stood up and just hopped off with another yearling doe in which I didn't even see. At first I was thinking, that doe had to have been shot and was lying there. Nope, I went over to the spot where she was bedded, as indicated by the flattened snow, and no blood. Very strange....

But like I said, they are strange and definately NOT predictable.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a similar experiance this hear about mid 1st bow seasion.I had already let a 6 pointer with a small basket go by and an hour later was so cold,I couldnt have made a good shot, so i decided to scout this new area some more.I was sneeking along and i could have spit on that buck!His eyes were as big as coffee cans and he was froze looking at me as i gave a glance and just keapt sneeking! I dont think he ever would have moved if i didnt stop walking about 15 yards past him and looked back.He just layed there!As soon as i stopped he was gone.I alwayse make note of wind dirrection etc. and the wind was steady and in my face,must have been enough background noise to dround out any noise i had made.