Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

My thoughts on New Bow

Old 01-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My thoughts on New Bow

Like a lot of others I also am thinking about a new bow. That being said I am now shooting a Darton Maverick that is about 6 or 7 years old. No it isnt as fast or even as quiet as some of the newer bows, but this year three shots 3 deer down. I have been in Archery since 1964 and every year something new and supposedly better comes out. There is no doubt things are quiter and faster but more accurate NO, accuracy is in the shooter and in the tuning of your equipment period. Yes sometimes we convince ourselfs that if we had that new bow we would shoot much better and usuall we do for awhile anyway. Mostly because we have a new toy and we play with it more and the more we practice the better we get but as the new wears off we tend to shoot less and go back to old habits it isnt the bow or the rest or the arrows it is usually us.
If you think it is the bow or the arrows or the rest just go watch Byron Ferguson (spelling) and you will see someone who is great at what he does.

Does this make sence to anyone but me?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:12 PM

Default RE: My thoughts on New Bow

That sounds about right to me. The toys don't make the hunter. To be proficent you have to practice doesn't matter weather it's new or old. Some of the older bows are easier to shot, longer bows and more brace height. But a new toy every now and then sure is alot of fun.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

I will give you some credit, but I had a hoyt that was ~9 years old with a 70 # draw and 70% let off. I had a shot this year on a doe that I couldn't take because I was shaking too much after ~ 45 seconds holding for her to pass to the opening. If I had the bow that I have now, I could have held double that time. That is one point. My second point is that I had major drop from 20 to 30 yards. If I misjudged the distance, I more than likely would miss. My comfort was within 25 yards. I just bought a 101 airborne. I made a mark at 25 yards on my sliding site and can shout in the vitals from 0 to 35 yards with an 8" diameter accuracy. This is just with ~10 hours of practice. This bow has really improved my chances. For fun, I moved out to 60 yards and it was amazing. I never missed the target and I moved m site 1/2" from the 25 yard mark. You can't see the arrow. In fact, you have to listen to hear the arrow a split second after you shoot to know that you hit the target. Most of the people on this site are probably not shocked by any of this, but this is all newto me. A 9 year upgrade in technology is awesome. I am shooting 310 fps at 64#s. With my hoyt, I was at 68#s.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I Love my General and Guardian and I am shooting better than I ever have I guess if it is not the bows then it must be meNot!!
I would not go back and shoot some of the old bows I shot in the 60's, 70's or 80's for love or money[:'(]
Besides new Toys are a Blast!

Dan